Sunday 1 November 2009

Glow Worm & Sparrow Hawk

Yesterday morning long before the sun was up, I was out hoping to catch the rising mist that carpets the river valley and the woodland rides at this time of year. While out I saw something that I have not seen since I was a child, Glow worms. As I had gone out not expecting to see them, or with any real plans of filming or photographing anything small, I had the wrong equipment with me, but now having discovered where they are, in the future it will be great to film them.

With the rather warm autumn that we have had so far it was unusual to see them at this time of year, but any chance of finding them again has been lost today with torrential rain today.

While talking about the rain, I had to head for the village store for some milk this morning. On the way back I was rather surprised to see a Sparrow Hawk flying in the rain. From what I saw, and normal behaviour I would guess that it was a young inexperienced bird that had either taken advantage of an easy meal, or had been forced to hunt in less than ideal conditions. But the reality is that this is just speculation.

No comments: