Sunday 7 February 2010

Airport Food

I am convinced that life is a series of song titles, the lyric that is buzzing around in my head is; “She's leaving on a jet plane...

As yesterday I took my better half off to the Airport to wish her Bon Voyage as for the next month she is in India. I will have put up with being able to get in to the bathroom and cooking for one for over a month.

There was one aspect that struck me though, the most prominent food concession at Newcastle airport was, Greggs. Now for those that don't know, this is a bakers that has grown very large making and selling calorie rich Pies, Pasties and pastries. They dominate the North East High streets. Whenever someone tells me they are going on a diet I will often quip that I should sell my shares in Greggs then. If the Airport were really trying to promote the region, then having this food concession does not really help.

As we were there on time and there were no delays on the check in, we were able to go and have a relaxing cup of tea. Visiting one of the other concessions, Starbucks. While Greggs is not really the image of the North East that it is wise to promote, at least it is a local company. I would have thought that it was possible to find a local business that could have operated the coffee shop. And judging by the taste of the tea, and done it better.

When my better half went to catch her flight, we said our goodbyes, leaving not a dry eye in sight. I stood and watched as she disappeared into the throng of expectant travellers. My journey back home was via the metro, the light rail transit system in Newcastle. It has been a while since I have needed to use it and it remains very good. However catching the bus back to the village was more problematic as I had to wait and wait. There is only one direct bus and when one or more is cancelled it makes for a long wait. I eventually went for a coffee, a decent one in Newcastle city centre as I was so cold.

It is ironic that by the time I got home, my better half was well on her way to the change at Dubai. Well that's modern transport for you.

The Picture is my better half packing her case and covering the floor with the contents as she checks she has not forgotten anything.

3 comments:

tree ocean said...

well, I can't see her face, but she looks so pretty. Lovely dark curly hair, and I love the outfit she looks so feminine! Now I am sure you are really missing her...hope she has a lovely trip and the month flies by!

Anonymous said...

I say, good Sir! Showing a picture of your "better half" with her underwear next to her. Hehe. Bet you are going to miss that over the next month ;)

Hope she enjoys her month in India and has a safe return. Hope it flies by for you!

PS - she looks very attractive (well from behind)!

Your Anonyomous reader.

Wood Mouse said...

Firstly; yes she is beautiful. I have good taste, Beauty and Brains, what more could any mouse ask for.

A for the clothes all around her... well as she normally leaves her clothes all over the place, it just looked typical of her.

I am already missing the wonderful whirlwind that is my better half, but as she is out there volunteering and working an aid project, we will both have to accept the little human sized gap in our lives for a while.