Monday 17 May 2010

Gateshead Race for Life in Saltwell Park

As I have said here before, my better half is very patient with me and my interests. However this is far from a one way street, as I have gone along to events and such to support her too. From the moment we met, we discovered that we shared many interests, beliefs and perspectives. Thus while we do have minor disagreements, on most issues we tend to agree.

Therefore when she told me that she was going to be a volunteer at the Race for Life in Gateshead I said that I would be willing to come with her and offer her some support. I had no real idea of what I would do while there, and the picture in the previous posting I took shortly after we arrived and my better half had registered where she was made a marshal.

After making sure we had both visited the toilets, I went with her to her marshalling point. It was actually a rather nice location as is Saltwell Park, and I stayed with her while she waited for the race to start. I had already by then decided that I would take a few pictures and I could see myself blogging about the event.

When the race started, as my better half was at marshal point two, I was effectively trapped there, as I could only have moved away by disrupting the event. So I used this to my advantage and just started taking pictures. While I know that I never got pictures of everyone, I just took lots and lots of pictures. These I will post here in subsequent postings.

The Race for life started as a fund-raising and awareness building event for breast cancer. However it has grown to be about all cancers but remains a race for women. Yet to call it a race, is a misnomer as it is not about finishing first, but about personal achievement and fund-raising for Cancer Research. So this event is not about being fastest or first but participation.

Personally I thank my better half for having volunteered and drawn me into this race, but my biggest thank you goes to all the women who took part in the race for life.


No comments: