Tuesday 1 June 2010

In Praise of the Slow Life

Having today been to Hexham with my better half, I found myself having to walk for a half an hour along the road from Ebchester to Blackhall Mill. Not extraordinary in its self, but as the traffic was far lighter than normal, I was able to think and muse on the environment that I was walking through.

The mat blossom was out, the blueberries were there in full fruit in the hedgerow and in the early evening the birds nesting were going about their business of feeding and raising their various broods. It made the inconvenience of the bus connections far more bearable. We all are pushed to lead such hectic lives that had I been driving I would have missed the beauty of seeing a Blackbird
carry a worm back to the nest, or the coal tit that was wooing a mate and being rather successful about it as he appeared to mate with her.

Even during the journey in to Hexham I had the joy of seeing Lapwings nesting on fields that are still traditionally grazed by sheep. Even as we walked together down to the bus stop this morning we saw a Red Kite seeking, searching for food.

None of these delights would have been observed from a car, or trying to live at a hectic pace.

No comments: