Saturday 31 July 2010

Catching Up

Because I have been busy, I have not had time to make any postings here, but I have read the comments made regarding the loss of my cat, and I thank the kind folks for them. I also note the comments on the Oil spill. Although that is the wrong term to use, as its the way that everyone thinks about it, its the way I will continue to describe it.

While most of the comments were generally supportive of what I was saying, there was one person in particular, who said that I had the facts wrong. This was relating to oil potentially coming ashore in Britain. At the time I made the posting, it was still unclear of exactly how much oil was escaping the well, and while there is good knowledge of the currents, it was and remains a theoretical risk. Therefore I am justified is calling it a possibility.

In the Niger delta (Africa) more oil that was released in Gulf is spilt each and every year and this does not reach Britain, nor America. It does cause great damage to the environment, but does not get the publicity that the spill in the Gulf of Mexico gets.

As someone that doesn't drive, I could be sanctimonious, but the reality is that we still need oil until we change to greener and cleaner technologies and there is also a change in attitude. There are very few people that are willing to give up their car or driving fewer miles.

But the aspect of the response that I found most offensive was the way the anonymous poster tried to bring their god into it. As my regular reader will know, I personally do not belie in any supernatural being, however while I respect the right for others to believe what ever nonsense they like, don’t use your religious nonsense to attack me for trying to get the facts right and to blame me for the actions of others.

These people always hide behind anonymity and are never prepared to have other correct their ill informed prejudice.

No comments: