Sunday 1 May 2011

Durham City

As my better half is returning to university for the last month of this academic year, we arranged to meet up in Durham. It was a rather spur of the moment thing, as with the bank holidays and that wedding, I really needed to get some food shopping, mainly green groceries, therefore when I knew that she was going into Durham, I suggested we could meet up.

The weather could not have been better, as the sunshine made an already beautiful city, fantastic. As I was there about an hour before I could get to see my better half, I had decided to stop for a light lunch. I went to a café that is right on the river and was sitting on the terrace outside. My cell phone rang and K was able to meet me earlier than had been expected. The amusing thing was that she was just leaving another café that I had nearly gone into and I had passed to try the one that I had eventually settled on. So she was just minutes away and she was able to sit with me while I had my lunch.

From where we were, we were able to stroll along the river. Durham really is a delightful city anyway, and the sun was dancing on the river creating a firework display of reflections. Also as its spring there is the wild garlic flowering and this aroma added to the freshness of the day.

Unfortunately we had to part all to early, as my better half had to return home by train and pack and I still had to get the shopping I needed. Because of previous visits I knew there was a good market in Durham, and I was pleased to find that the quality was better than the average as well as finding items that are not always easy to find, such as Jerusalem Artichokes, and I got some of these. Also in the indoor market is the best fishmonger I personally have ever encountered.

With my wallet much lighter, I headed back home and I will make time to visit Durham again soon, and looking forward to cooking some great fish dishes for my better half once her exams are over.



No comments: