Sunday 12 August 2012

Curlews And Kestrels

I know its been a while since I posted here, but there is a good reason for this, the need to protect a rare nest.

As my regular, well only reader will know, I moved to an upland area nearly two years ago. I arrived in the Winter so the first spring and summer I was just finding my feet here. As the landscape could be used to film Wuthering Heights, it should tell you exactly what it looks and feels like. Also where the village I live in is rather exposed the default setting for the weather will uncombe your hair the moment you step out of the door.

I rather quickly discovered that there were Curlew in the area. This is a bird of concern and the RSPB estimate there are less than one thousand pairs nesting in the UK. So this spring when I realised I was seeing at least a couple of pairs that appeared to be nesting, I started to investigate.

While the weather has been less than clement this summer, the spring started out as being rather good. Therefore, early in the year I was rather surprised to find three definite nests and another possible nest. But then came the rain, and a bit more rain, and more than a bit more rain, so much that I was waiting for someone to open a beach resort here.

When I was able to look again, I discovered six Curlew nests. With its curved beak made for probing in wet mud, the rain had delayed breeding but it also made spotting the Curlews feeding rather easy, and tracking them back to the nests was relatively easy. So I had over a half a percent of the British breeding population on my doorstep.

However, while looking for one species of bird and its nests you inevitably notice other things too. The Lapwings and the Hare being two of the most numerous sightings. But sight is not the only sense used and I was hearing a bird that I could not identify. I am always cautious about identifying any bird just from its song or call, as Starlings can and do mimic.

The effect of the weather, had its effect most noticeably on the Kestrels as the rain was effecting the activity of the mammals they feed on. They moved to the higher parts of the land and locally that is often the road verges. After having had several days of rain, walking into the next village and back, I saw three individuals hunting over the verges. Then the following day, while on the top deck of the bus retuning from a food shopping trip I had a close up view of a Kestrel that had to manoeuvre out of the way of the bus. It was a brief sighting but a spectacular one. When a week latter I saw a Kestrel drop to the verge, I thought of that sighting and I thought I would never see anything closer than I had on the Bus. But as I crested the hill and walked along the road I saw the Young Kestrel covering, trying to hide its meal from me, with its wings as I walked past it less than four feet from the bird.

It was possible to tell that it was a newly fledged bird as it still had the last traces of the gape visible and there was another Kestrel very close by that could have been one of its parents. It was when I had passed this that I heard the call that I had been wanting to identify again, but this time actually seeing the bird. A Ring Ouzel.

As I had things to do I could not stop and watch but as I walked back I kept my eyes and ears open. It was funny, but that day I had three offers of a lift back to the village that I had to refuse. I am glad I did as I did see the bird again. He was picking caterpillars off the vegetation at the road side.

I did try tracking the bird but lost sight that first time. But over a couple of days I repeatedly saw him and what I latter realised was the female, and discovered where they were nesting. It was because of this nest that I kept quiet here, as had hoards of bird watchers descended on the area, the nest of a very rare bird would have been disturbed, as well as the nest sites of the Curlew. Further, by keeping quiet about this until “The Glorious Twelfth” as I was asked to do by the Farmer, across who's land I had to cross to get close to the nest, I got to see a seventh Curlew nest as well as a Little owls nest too.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I took a few days to see this post, that's what happens when we don't post regularly. :) I am guilty as well!

I do love your posts as I so often can visualize myself there, although that was a funny bird name, I don't think we have those here!

Tree
ps hope I didn't lose access to my blog I was just re directed at sign in,

We do have curlews sandpipers and woodcocks. I am not sure if I have seen a curlew-how lucky to find so many nests.