Sunday 9 September 2007

A full complement of Volunteer

Yesterday was the rescheduled task of painting the Coal Tubs on the Tub way. I was feeling quite tired even when I got up, but as I was leading it, I of all people couldn’t afford not to turn up. Therefore I had to fuel myself up on portage, make my sandwiches and a flask of tea. The Tea and my telephone I left on the kitchen bench, so that was a good start. Personally I blame to post woman calling at that point causing me to forget to put them in my bag. Well I have to blame someone, it cant be the Mouse’s fault, or can it?

It was a great day weather wise, so walking to the Forest classroom, the meeting place for the volunteers, was a real delight. Had I just been out for a walk it would have been a perfect morning to just stroll around, but those tubs needed to be painted.

The difficulty for an organisation that relies upon volunteers to carry out any works or task it that you never know how many people will turn up. It became clear that I was it. The Friends’ are blessed with having some very good and reliable people who do give of their time so freely, but most of the regular volunteers yesterday were away on holiday, Mick enjoy your time in Malta, we have work for you when you return. Also as this was a rescheduled event, rain having prevented play previously, it was just possible that folks had other things planned. So it was left to the Mouse to paint these tubs. As an extra safety precaution I informed the Ranger, who was on her Day off, that I was working alone.

Now I don’t mind painting, but it can be boring, so I decided I would just do as much as I could manage. And I would work systematically, and used a wire brush to key the surface, as the plan was to do the work to as higher standard as possible, so that the minimum of future maintenance was needed in the future. Painting the wheels first, I wanted to ensure that all the fuddle bits were done and then I could take time with the large flat surfaces.

The work progressed well, and I even had time to stop for my lunch, and dreamt of my flask of tea I knew was at home. I even had visitors in the form of various dog walkers and a group of walkers. Even the Ranger came along to check on me, I think she was just making sure I was actually working and had not skived off.

Eventually, I just ran out of paint, with just a little bit of the coal to paint. Well its rock made to imitate coal, if we had used coal it would have lead to the brainless ones either stealing it or setting it on fire.

So with just the sign writing and a bit of coal left to paint I was happy but amazed that I had done so much. While I had been careful, I still got my hands covered in paint, well at least I wont go rusty now, I had the problem that I had to return the tools and ensure I informed the ranger I was finished. What made that a problem was I was really knackered and my home was in one direction and the Forest Depot was in the other.

At least I was able to check on the work as I went home eventually. The wet paint sign was still there, but it was gone by today. It is one of these things that amuse me. The tubs are in an area that is closed off to the public, with a viewing area at the top of the cutting. But to ensure we don’t get sued, we have to put up signs to warn the brain dead ones that the paint is wet. Just in case “Little Johnny” traverses into a place he shouldn’t be, and gets paint on his best designer shirt, and “Little Johnny’s” mother sues us as this hypothetical shirt is ruined. Personally I think that in these sorts of cases the people being sued should counter claim the cost of repainting because “Little Johnny” has ruined it. That would stop this sue for everything culture.

Well as you can see the Tubs are all shinny and black again. But someone else can finish them off!

No comments: