Sunday 16 September 2007

Walking the History Trail

Cue the Danger Mouse theme tune, however I cant afford David Jason to do the voice over! Yesterday I was a Mouse on a Mission!

On Wednesdays meeting of the Friends of Chopwell Wood committee, our secretary put out a request for photographs of some of the elements that make up our LHI (Lottery Heritage Initiative) trail. As he doesn’t know one end of a camera from another, that’s why he keeps on thinking he is getting films back that belong to opticians. So I thought I would try and get the images he needs. Thus I was up early with the aim of getting these pictures taken.

Now normally I tend to steer clear of the areas of the wood that are popular especially at weekends, as I know that for wildlife photography or even wildlife watching, other people can and do disturb the wildlife. They don’t do it intentionally, but few people seem to be able to walk in the countryside without making a lot of noise. I am not bothered by it, others are welcome to use my wood just as much as I do, and it’s always great to see others enjoying the wood too. Today people didn’t matter as I would be taking pictures of objects and primarily not the Fauna and Flora. That said I still keep my eyes open and ears attuned, as you just don’t know what you are going to see. And while there were quite a number of people about, they were much quieter than I normally experience.

Also there are many people who I now begging to recognise, and they all seem to know me. Or is it that there dogs that recognise me? Thus, it was a real pleasure to walk, greet and chat to many of the people out yesterday.

Getting the images was not practically challenging, and that is the advantage of using digital, as I could take lots to ensure that I had all angles covered. Had I used film it would have cost a fortune.

However, it was the fact that I was walking in the places I frequent least that enabled me to realise that I was missing some potentially interesting encounters. I could see a regular badger track in one location as well as signs of fox. Also I realised that there were locations near by where large numbers of birds must be roosting, and hence there would be a great dawn chorus. There were also indications of a bird of prey plucking post. As we had a pair of Goshawks nesting just beyond the boundaries of the forest, I cant say what bird it could be as both Sparrow hawks and Goshawks share the behaviour of using the same spot for plucking their lunch.

Part of the reason for taking up the challenge of trying to take the photos of the heritage elements in the woods was simply that they are well spaced out. That meant it was going to provide a good long walk at the very least. That in its self can open up opportunities to see something different. Not that I don’t want to see all the common sights as even seeing what you expect and hope to be there in terms of the wildlife is a good indication of a healthy ecology.

Having got the pictures in the North end of the wood, I was walking down next to the car park when another member of the Friends’ came along, a man that I will refer to only as RB or Rancid Badger for short. Don’t ask, but I didn’t name him that, he chose the name himself. It was fortunate that we met at that moment as it was just starting to rain. So we decanted to the Forest Classroom for shelter and Tea. As RB was meeting another of the Earth skills stalwarts, we decided we would all go for a walk down to Lintzford Mill together and just enjoy the spontaneity of being out with no particular destination other than the mill its self.

I always enjoy walking with RB, as he really does know his stuff, wild foods, the uses of plant materials for making objects. Personally he knocks the likes of Ray Mears into a cocked hat. Every time I am out with him I learn so much. Further there is no bull about him, he doesn’t claim or try to be all knowing and I always appreciate someone who will say that they don’t know something.








What was also great was the way we were just feeding ourselves on the berries along the way. Now I pride myself on my observational skills, but its rare to be with other people who are as observant. Moreover they appreciate the importance of the vitality of the countryside. It was at one of our little stops looking to see what had been eating the hazel seeds that one of them observed the robin in the picture.

As we ventured out of the wood, we stopped to observer the cattle on the farm. I do love the traditional breeds and it was a delight to see these Highland Cattle, they do look a bit like Doggle out of the Magic Roundabout though. Then stopping on the bridge we could see trout in the river.




Exploring further we discovered just how wonderful and quiet the areas are beyond the bounds of the forest are. We all tried to put the world to rights as we wandered. If only talk could solve the worlds problems.

Then I left them to go back via the wood, I wanted to explore further and I followed the course of the river back to Blackhall Mill. But I will leave what I saw there for another time.












No comments: