Wednesday 7 November 2007

A Healthy River


At the weekend while down on the riverbank, I discovered some old signs of Otter activity. I was then told by one of the Friends’ that he had seen two Otters less than a week ago. On the River Derwent we do have otters, but they are elusive and as they are predominantly nocturnal or corpuscular (Active at Dawn and Dusk), they are difficult to find and rarely seen.

Unfortunately I have discovered that some people are jealous of me for having seen the otters, I have even been accused of making it up, but the otters are their and they are thriving, as the Picture of the Otter Scat shows. I have had some strange looks and comments when I have truthfully told them that I have been taking pictures of wildlife poo, but it’s a useful tool for assessing the health of any wildlife population. I would prefer to be taking pictures of the otters themselves, but while I have tried, they are too secretive for me to have had any luck so far.

Another problem is the territory size, Otters need up to twenty miles of river to hunt and breed on, that means they are often on the move from one holt to another. This was something I discovered from observation, and confirmed by reading what is known. One of the greatest problems that the otters face is disturbance by man, not intentional disturbance, and his best friend the dog. Otters can often be around people without them realising it, I have spoken to many fishermen who have seen otters and were surprised they were there. Further the otters were undisturbed by the human presence. However, add a dog and the otters behaviour changes and the will vacate the area and avoid it at the times when dog walkers are about.

Anyway with otters in mind I headed off yesterday to see if I could find where the otters are. With the new digital camera I felt that I stood a good chance of getting something. However, I had made the mistake of picking up all the wrong batteries. I use rechargeable ones, I can see you are all ahead of me here, and I took out the ones that needed charging. I did get to see plenty of fresh signs of otter activity but pictures no.

I did however see water voles again; I saw one at the weekend, as well as plenty of other wildlife, Dippers, Grey Wagtails and a Kingfisher. So while I returned home resembling something the titanic should avoid, I was very pleased to see that the river is looking so healthy.


No comments: