Sunday 6 December 2009

A Flock Of Red Kites

Yesterday, I had the need to go into Consett to do some shopping and I was just leaving the village when I spotted one of the Red Kites. As there are roadworks being undertaken, the bus had to halt at the right spot so that I was able to observe the Kite for three minutes as it circled in its search for food. In the low winter sun the Red Kite was beautifully illuminated. A delight that made the job of doing the shopping much more pleasant.

Then today while writing the previous post, I saw a pair of Red Kites on the horizon. I stopped to drink in the spectacle and my delight was increased as further Kites appeared. A small group of five Red Kites were out foraging together. I was able to watch for more than two minutes as they came closer and flew almost overhead in their search for food.

While there are many problems associated with living here, it is the wildlife and the natural history that really makes it worthwhile.

2 comments:

tree ocean said...

I hope you and yours had a pleasant holiday and all is well. Miss your posts!

Nancy said...

Happy New Year, Wood Mouse. I suspect you are very happy already!