Sunday 6 December 2009

A Mindless Act


As I started writing this posting I don't know when I will be able to post it. As this morning, Sunday, I was taking my better half to the bus stop so she could catch the bus home. On the route walking to the Bus stop we pass the Telecoms switching box that handles most if not all the telecoms traffic for the village. It had been vandalised and was covered with a protective canvas cover and police tape. As we had approached the location, a telecoms van was just pulling away and obviously all work that could be done to restore service had been carried out, but it still took another couple of hours before I had telephone or Internet.

As an act of mindless vandalism this really does stand out as being particularly stupid, as it disabled the telephone system for a number of people. In my village there are a number of elderly residents who need the telephone for their safety and security. It is not infrequent that I see an ambulance speeding to the locations where the elderly folks live. Therefore this mindless action could have seriously endangered life.

While there are some things that happen in life that I can get into the mind of the people that do stupid things, there are other times when I just really can not. This is one of the latter. Why anyone would want to destroy such a vital part of the infrastructure is just beyond my comprehension. There has to be a serious cancer at the heart of our society for this to happen. At least from the enquires I have made so far, no one was harmed by this, but who knows what hidden harm has happened as a result of this mindless act.

No comments: