Tuesday 13 April 2010

Markets and Walks

Because the weather was good on Sunday, I dragged my better half out for a walk in the woods. First thing in the morning I had already been out to get some bread for toast and I had delighted in the number of birds that I had seen singing their hearts out. So when the light cloud cleared and the sun came out, we really had to get out in the air.

For the most part, many of the observations were routine to me, but when I showed her a definite track of a fox on its regular route, she told me of seeing a fox recently near her home. So slowly she is growing to appreciate the natural world. We stopped and sat by the river near the end of the walk, and were happily content there, but our peace was disturbed by a fisherman who clearly wanted to fish from the spot we were enjoying the tranquillity of the river. So we decide to wander a little further. Thus we headed into the village of Blackhall Mill. I pointed out the places where I have seen Otters, as well as other wildlife. Then we spotted a banner that told of a market in the village. At the angle, I had read it as a farmers market, but it was in fact a “Makers” Market (Craft Market).

It was an interesting market and I was actually quite good quality. It is one of the aspects of craft markets that can be frustrating is that the quality can be rather poor, yet here were some true makers trying to sell their own products. There were a couple of the makers that we took cards for, as my better half like her fun earrings. While talking to one stall holder, I discover she lives in my street in my village.

It is one of the aspects that disappoints me about some of the people in my village that they will complain about many aspects of the village (that I live in), yet expect others to resolve them. Yet in the two villages either side of mine, the folks actually get off their bums and try and make improvements for themselves. As with this Makers Market in Blackhall Mill, and other projects such as the HOP garden in High Spen, people at least try to help themselves. I genuinely wish that there was at least some of that spirit in Chopwell, but sadly it really seems that in my village it is always someone else's job to do something constructive.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

Good to see you at the garden and sorry we didn't have more artichokes - you'll have to get in quicker next year (the school xmas fayre is worth a visit for our brussels and artichokes!) I spotted that the link you've got to the garden is the old blog - we now have a brand, spanking new site: http://www.thehopgarden.toucansurf.com
happy wanderings :)