Tuesday 27 April 2010

Tadpoles and Nests

As I have been very busy with other things this year, I have not had the time or opportunity to chart the was that the changing seasons bring new or different life to my local woods and surrounding areas. Well not as much as I have in previous years. However, I have my contacts, and that means that while I have not yet been to see the ospreys nest in Cumbria this year, I can bring you folks updates as and when I get them. Equally, while I may not have been able to get out to see other areas of wildlife activity, I do get to hear of some of them.

However, there is nothing better than going out and taking a peek for yourself, and this is what I did with my better half on Monday. This was more a stroll than one of my expeditions, and as such I was not laden down with equipment. So while it was possible to see and hear much, it was more a matter of just enjoying what was there. Like seeing an Orange Tip Butterfly. Had I been on my own, I may have gone chasing off to try and get a picture, but I know that my better half does not have the same passion that I do and she would get bored.

It is also amusing that she doesn't like creepy crawlies and while on my own I would go off and scrutinise many of the small creatures, such behaviour by me gets her feeling upset as she really doesn't like spiders et al. So when I got on my belly to try and photograph the tadpoles in the pond, it was a mixture of amusement and “don't pick up any insects” attitude. But just as I adjust my way of interacting with the natural world when with her, she has learnt to trust that I will not be childish and make her interact with creatures she does not feel happy being about.

That said, I have often joked with her that one day I will grow up, as I have long recognised that I am rather childlike when it comes to the natural world. She can recognise and respects that passion I have.

While out on Monday, we heard a call that was one of the Red Kites. That told me that near by was likely to be a Red Kite nesting. It was close to an area where a Pair of Kites have tried to nest before. This year they appear to have been successful. As in past years the nest was disturbed, deliberately it has to be said, I am keeping quiet about this one. But I hope like the Ospreys there will be chicks successfully reared this year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice tadpoles!
Tree