Friday 11 March 2011

Curlew and Lapwing

There is something very satisfying in making a prediction and it coming true. Even when I first came to see the new house, I was predicting a few of the bird spices that I could encounter. Because I already knew that about 12 miles away there were Lapwing, that was a safe bet. Equally, I guessed that I might see Buzzards about too. The one that was potentially more testing was thinking that I could see Curlew.

Then on Tuesday, while walking home from getting some milk and bread from the next village, there are no shops in my village, I heard the call of a Curlew. Its quite a plaintive almost mournful call. I was strongly tempted to report it that night here, but I wanted to be sure. I checked the guides I have for bird song (Calls), and I was very sure I had heard the bird, but I really wanted to see it first.

As yesterday and today I had to travel to Consett via a bus route that covers the high moors, I kept my ears and eyes open when going to catch that bus. But with no further sightings. However, on the relatively brief but picaresque journey yesterday, I saw a number of Lapwings clearly preparing for the breeding season. Then today, having to make the same journey, while looking out onto the fields, I saw a long beaked bird probing the mud. A Curlew. I have seen one before, but at a distance. This one was close, thirty five feet away, and undisturbed by the traffic on the road.

Therefore I have heard one bird and seen another. It makes having to put up with the wind and the cold, worthwhile.





No comments: