Monday 14 January 2008

Café Archaeopteryx


While I have been busy reading some, at times, quite dense material on conservation and the environment, even while I have been doing this I have had the delight of seeing the birds that are feeding in my back yard. My desk, in my office (its actually the back bedroom but office sounds better) I poisoned at the window so that I could at least watch the jackdaws. Also the first thing I did when I moved in here was to place feeders in the yard. While it has taken a while, I now have some regular diners at café archaeopteryx.

Just yesterday I had Blue Tit, Great Tit, Redwing, Fieldfare, Starling, Blackbird, Jackdaw, Tree Sparrow, Dunnock and Pied wagtail. It is such a delight to be able to move my eyes from the paper or screen that I am reading and see the justification for the effort.

I don’t have a garden at all here, it is just a concrete yard, but in pots are a few herbs and I have my feeders for the birds and that is enough to encourage the wildlife to visit. Equally I can look up to the sky at the horizon and see other birds flying over, the Red Kite at the moment is a nearly daily sighting, but I have also seen Herons, Ducks and one morning a flock of about one thousand starlings going off somewhere to feed.

It is these simple pleasures that show me just how good life can be.






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you have an oops typo in this one-unless you are poisoning the window...(no need to approve this comment..hugs, tree)