Sunday 27 January 2008

RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch


Now I guess that I may need to explain to my overseas readers that the RSPB, the British version of the Audubon Club, started via its children's group, the young ornithologists club a project to look at what birds were visiting peoples gardens. Now that part should be as clear as mud!

However, us adults stamped our feet and started crying and said we want to play too... So quite soon after it started thirty years ago, we adults (adult only by longevity and not temperament) were able to sit for an hour and count the birds that visit our garden. They even make it easy by saying you can use the park as your back garden.

Therefore for an hour today I became a child. I went to the park for a change, as while my yard is getting better for birds, I also know that there are periods when birds just don't come in. And as one of the rules is that the bird must land, it was possible that I could end up seeing loads but recording nothing. Us Brits know how to make life complicated!

However, the serious part of this is not the very useful data that this project has generated in the past twenty nine years, but the fact that it has excited children young and old to look and learn about the environment, conservation and natural history.

Well I suppose that you want to hear what I saw, no I hear you cry, well I am going to tell you anyway!


Blackbird (6), Jackdaw (19), Magpie (3), Robin, Wood Pigeon, Great Spotted Woodpecker, Long tailed Tit (14), Great tit, Blue Tit (9), Starling (7), Pied Wagtail (3), Collard Dove (2) and Tree Sparrow (8)


Then following my stint I went for a walk and I ended the day with a long sighting of one of the Red Kites.



No comments: