Sunday 20 January 2008

Death and Rebirth

As I have said previously, I needed to get a new computer. I found a pre used machine that was at least two chip generations new than my old steam driven one. Further, as it was at a price I could just about afford and was the speck I needed, I am now the Happy/Miserable (Delete as Required) owner of a new old computer.

While a couple of friends had suggested getting a Mac, as all my software is PC, that would have entailed a lot more expense. Further, as the other equipment I have Like the scanner are only compatible with PCs, I had to go that route. The New computer arrived on Friday, after checking it was working, I went to switch on the old one, and nothing happened. Checked all the leads and connections, but while it was powering up nothing was loading.

Well after a weekend of checking and getting the PC doctor out, my old computer was pronounced dead.

So it looks as though I got the new one just in time. However, as the death was caused by the hard drive expiring, it means that I have lost a lot of important data. While I do regularly back up my files, and had done a full one only two weeks ago, I have lost some files. What for me is the greatest loss is all the contacts and email addresses that I had on my old machine, while I have some in paper form, its all ways a shame when you loose contact with people because of problems like this. Add to that I had a whole host of websites and pages that I have been using as research...

Well it looks as if I am going to busy all over again.

Anyway, I have not only been playing nurse to a dying clapped out pile of junk, that's me not the computer, I have also been out checking on the Badgers. While it is more difficult to see them at this time of year, they are sensible and stay out of the cold. I did see one of the Sows and she is very heavily pregnant, so in the spring I may see cubs again.



No comments: