Monday 8 June 2009

Blackbird Bird Song

At four in the morning “wood mouse” is not exactly Compos mentis, therefore when I was up early this morning, I think my wits were still asleep. But being that early I heard my resident male Blackbird singing to proclaim his territory. I can recognise him from some white patches on his head.

So I sat and watched with cup of tea in hand, I was not that Ga Ga, as he filed the pre dawn darkness with song. Then I realised that there was another Blackbird, another male perched on the wall opposite declaring his welcome to the day as well. It was more like the dawn chorus as a competitive sport.

Had I had my wits about me I could have filmed them, by going out the front door and making my way to the back of the house, but it never occurred to me until latter just as they were ending the competition. Over the next half hour I saw them both come into the yard, separately, and feed on the meal worms and seeds dropped on the ground from the feeders.

Then, and this was still about half five in the morning, while I was brushing my teeth, I saw one of the Blackbirds fly past the window with something white in its beak. Still with toothbrush in gob, I dashed out the back to see if I could see what it was the blackbird was taking from its nest. My guess was that it was either egg shell or a poo sac. It was an egg shell so dash back for the camera but by the time I returned that had disappeared.

What my neighbour must have made of me walking back with my toothbrush still in my mouth and camera in hand, I dread to think.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I heard early morning bird song the other day as well-only I stink at identifying most of them. Still, it was far better than roosters.

T

Wood Mouse said...

If it had been a Cockerel then it would have woken my brain. As for bird calls, I am only an expert on the alarm calls that I associate with tail patterns.