Friday 19 June 2009

Polecat



Yesterday, Thursday, I noticed something rather odd in my back yard when I returned from my wanderings. While I don't have any natural soil in my yard, I do have various pots and containers that are growing a few weeds. Well a lot of weeds or wild flowers as I call them. Well under the seed feeder a Smooth-Sow Thistle grew in some spilt soil. As it was not well anchored I was not surprised that it had flopped over as it had already grown to a hight of four feet.

If it had been knocked over, my guess was that it was a Jackdaw. But when I went to look I could see some indistinct small mammal prints, a mouse or vole, so do I have something unknown in my yard?

As one of the locals had called round, I left the matter and started to think about what I was being asked to do. He has an allotment and a member of the weasel family is coming in and is taking eggs from his hens.

As anyone from Britain will know, the wildlife film maker Simon King on this years Spring watch, struggled to see and film a Polecat, and this chap thought that that was what was taking his hens eggs. Personally my guess was a Weasel or a Stoat, but even so I was interested to try and film or get some pictures.

So after refreshing with tea, it kept the British Empire going, we headed for his allotment. There were signs of a Stoat, hairs and prints, and we worked out where it had been getting in. But to film I would need to use the shed as a hide, or stay in the shed with the chickens. While I have agreed to try, I can not do this straight away as I have other things to do. But I did agree to go down early in the morning today to see if we could see the stoat.

So up early, I was making some coffee when I saw a movement in the yard where the Smooth-Sow Thistle had been knocked over. As I could not see anything I turned back to pouring out my coffee. Mug in hand, I returned my gaze to the yard to see a Polecat drinking from the large plastic dog bowl that serves as a bird bath. It must have noticed my movement as he or she in two bounds was out and under the gate. As the polecat has a bandit mask (yes Tree like your Racoon's) and in spring watch there had been a great description of how to spot a true pole cat from a Ferret Polecat hybrid and this was a true polecat.

Had it not been that my Camera was packed for transport, I would have had it to hand, if I would have been able to film it though I doubt it. There was a lot of luck in seeing this. I went down to the allotment and there was no sign of the Stoat and no eggs had gone. The chap thought the Stoat was visiting between six and seven in the morning. As if he went early to collect the eggs they were all there. But at seven there would be fewer eggs. I did ask the question are you sure the eggs are being taken? And that it is just not that his girls are being lazy? But he assures me that the eggs are being taken. There are signs of a Stoat so he is probably correct.

I have been thinking of getting a camera trap, as used on Spring watch, but they are not cheap and I can not afford one just yet. I think I need to find and film a Yeti so that I can sell the footage and make my fortune. But as I failed to film the Stoat or the Polecat, I guess I should not start spending that money just yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm I thought a polecat was a skunk so I guess I need to look that up. A stoat is what we call a weasel? Or a mink? Or an ermine? Wouldn't they kill the chickens too? I think the ermine doesn't kill chickens, so maybe that is what a stoat is...? LOL..wanders off confused in her sweater (jumper). :D

Tree

PS am very proud to have wowed you with the moth. :)

Anonymous said...

Well i sure would like to see a picture of your kind of polecat there. Here it was once a name used for a skunk. Enjoyed the article, very much.