Wednesday 3 June 2009

Time for Badgers


Who says that Wood Mice cant multi task? As it takes about an hour to burn the back ups on to DVD, I use that time to do other things. Normally that is stuff like House Work (I am sorry to use that Swear Word). But as well as doing that, I decided I would again attempt some stop motion filming.

When you see something that normally takes hours to happen but the film lasts for minutes, that's the type of stop motion I am talking about. So with the camera firmly secured, I started shooting a few seconds, then left a gap of two minutes. Now I could have just sat in the sun and over the four hours of filming just done that, but I had other tasks to undertake. My cat still will not do the washing up so in the two minute gaps I was dashing in doing a bit then dashing out to film the next bit. Nothing like making life easy for myself!

As well as doing that I was able to dash up stairs and change the DVDs that are my back ups for my boring footage. Who needs to join a gym when running up stairs twenty or more times is the perfect exercise. Well it keeps me fit (fit for nothing). The funniest part was trying to make some coffee, but I did not miss any of the frames I needed to film.

On the whole though it was quite relaxing to do. My cat was quite happy to lay in the sun and watch, but did worry me when she started to rub herself against the tripod. As this would have changed the position subject in the frame, I had to discourage her from that. All she needed was a fuss and for me to let her lay on my stool.

While doing the stop motion was fulfilling, I needed to get out for a walk latter. I headed down to the river and was delighted to see all the critter activity there. While there was nothing exceptional about the birds, Sparrows, Starlings, Corvids, Martins, it was just pleasant to see them there feeding and drinking. While I did linger by the river for a while, I really wanted to head to the Badger Sett.

From the river it is a mile and half trek up hill, I realised that time was probably against me. Not that I could not get there before the Badgers emerged but that I would not have the time to settle myself quietly. While it may be trendy to have shaky hand held shots, I am a traditional Mouse and I try hard to keep my shots as steady and smooth as I can. Therefore I carry the equipment in a back pack and the tripod on my shoulder. Therefore no matter how careful I am setting up can generate some noise.

However, I went towards the area of the Sett keeping an eye out for the other wildlife. Almost immediately I heard then saw a Lesser Spotted Woodpecker that was obviously feeding young. I could hear them calling for food, and this lead me to locating the nest. I lingered for a while, but could see no way of filming the nest nor the parents as they fed the chicks. Well not without disturbing them. But I will survey the area again and see if I can spot a safe vantage point, but I suspect that the nest site was chosen because it is so well concealed.

I saw plenty of rabbits on my journey, while I am not as quiet of tread as I would like to be, my gentle scamper does enable me to get quite close to them before they realise I am there. As I neared the Badger Sett, Stopped and set the equipment up, that makes it more difficult to carry and increases the risk of making noise as I approached, but not as much as the sounds of zips and Velcro does. While I sat on a fallen tree trunk, I heard a sound behind me and as I turned the Roe Deer that was fifteen feet from me sprinted off into the trees. It may well be worth my time staking out that spot in the hope of seeing and filming the Deer.

When I arrived at the Sett, there was no sign of activity or movement. It could be that the Badgers had already left or were going to emerge soon. Because of the hot weather, I was concerned that my perspiration could alert them to me being there too. All I could do was wait and hope. While there was little air movement, the little there was seemed to be in my favour. Then after twenty minutes or so I saw the first sign of movement. But as it was up the incline I could not see the Badgers clearly. Also I had the additional problem of a man and his dog appearing. He was clearly coming to see the Badgers, but was making so much noise the Sow and her Cub shot back down into the Sett.

I was able to talk to the chap, he had been inspired by seeing Spring Watch and had been told of the Sett, but had not realised that bringing his dog was not wise. As if the Badgers were to feel threatened or they thought the Cubs threatened the badgers could attack the dog. At the very least I suggested he should keep the dog, a terrier, on a leash. He did that but after ten minutes of waiting to see if the Badgers returned, the chap got fed up and went. I only had to wait for five more minutes before they came out again. I was able to film them as well as a sequence of a couple of minutes of Badgers doing what they do best, scratching.

As the Badgers had been disturbed earlier, I decided to go sooner than I had planned, and while it was still light enough to see my footing. While I can walk in the dark, and with a waxing moon and clear skies I would have found my way, retreating from any wildlife can cause more disturbance than an approach. As simply far to few people seem to understand that the retreat needs to as stealthy as the advance.

When trudging up the hill towards home I stopped by one of the bus stops, as I was trying to keep a watch for the local Kestrel. As I stood there a nice woman who was walking her dog, the dog likes me, started chatting and I discovered that a Barn Owl can frequently be spotted at a particular field. We talked at length about the local wildlife, although I was frequently distracted by moths, bats and birds. While it had not been my intention, I decided I would wait for the bus. As I did a chap who lives right by this stop came out with his dog too, and we had a natter about, you guessed it, wildlife.

All day had been quite a good day that I decided to pop into the local hostelry for some ale. Now I have no problem with people getting drunk, but it can cause a real downer when you encounter the morbid or morose drunk. Unfortunately in this village we have far to many like that. So I went elsewhere, and that was more pleasant.

Then to round off the night, I went home and cooked myself a meal, cooking while under the influence is not something I will recommend. I still have all my fingers but I only know that because I counted them.




No comments: