Friday 24 July 2009

End of The Season

For the last couple of years I have been a volunteer watching the nest site of a rare raptor. Last year I got a slap on the wrist for talking about it here, that was from other volunteers, but I do have permission now. In fact I had it last year but some folks think that these things have to be kept more secret than MPs Expanses. Thus these other volunteers told me off.

Well this season has been another successful season with chicks hatched reared and fledged. Yesterday was a debriefing with the big boss. There had been no problems with the birds apart from a few dog walkers that had to be either discouraged from walking in the vulnerable areas or that needed to be advised to keep their dog on a lead. Though there had been volunteer problems. On two occasions I had been left with no relief. As I have to rely on public transport, that meant that to get home I had to then walk a fair distance to catch a train to then get the bus home.

It seems that for a couple of the volunteers me not driving or having a car caused them a problem, well in there mind it did. Apart from one occasion when the bus was late, I never missed the slots I was allocated. So I don't see what the problem is or should be, the Big Boss agreed. Anyway peace was declared, helped by me taking along the cup cakes I baked the other day. I personally feel privileged about being able to be involved in this type of project and I get to see birds that I would not normally be able to get close to. And I may well be able to do it again next year, if the birds nest again.

However, while talking to the big boss, I was made an offer, would I write an article for a magazine regarding this type of volunteering with the aim of recruiting more volunteers. The Big Boss had read this nonsense here. So I will be trying to do just that. Also there is the possibility, but just the possibility, that I could be asked to write more articles too. Well I will not be making a fortune but it will be better than a poke in the eye with a blunt stick.

I was trying to draft this out, this afternoon when I spotted a sparrow that was clearly newly fledged. It was landing on the feeder but was still begging food from the male. As this was sustained I grabbed the Video camera. But the birds had moved off the feeder. So I set the camera on the tripod behind me, ready should the birds return. They did but as I leaned back my pony tail got caught in the clips on the tripod. Well it saved me getting my hair cut! Once I had untangled myself, I had missed filming the behaviour. I don't know that I will get another chance this season, but I am pleased that the sparrows have been able to raise so many broods this year. Especially as they have been added to the RSPB list as a species of concern, as numbers have fallen by seventy percent.

Just to show that I have not forgotten the Red Kites, today while returning from a shopping trip, I was sitting on the bus when through the wind shield, as the bus drove up the hill, I spotted a Red Kite that was all but hovering near the end of my street. Just two beats of its wings and it was gone. I did go looking for it as soon as I dropped the shopping off, but I could not see the bird again. I was tempted to go searching but as I had not unpacked the shopping, and there was Ice Cream in there, I know that if I went looking I would have a shopping bag saturated in melted Ice cream. So as dedicated as I can be, the food has to come first.

In some respects, I am glad that the nest watching is over for this season as it frees me to do other things. I have many hours of video that I need to edit for one thing, and I have many other bits of wildlife watching that I want to catch up on. I may even be able to catch up on some sleep too.

No comments: