Sunday 19 July 2009

Sit back and Eat Cake


Today I was able to do some of the baking that I had planned for yesterday. When I last did this one, I had made some notes as I was trying to create a vegan version. My ex had been Vegan, so I was trying to make a variation that she could eat. However, I also vaguely remembered that even without trying to make it vegan, the recipe as written did not fully work, or that I had thought of ways of making it better. After I made the Raspberry Buns, I remembered what I was going to do. They were still great but I think I can make this one better.

As I keep a well stocked store cupboard, when I got the Raspberries, I knew that I had most of the rest of the ingredients in already. The only thing I lacked was some Baking Powder. On Friday I had already been to Consett as I had been there to get a bus to another location as I was helping with a problem pond. It had been on that journey back that I had got the raspberries. As I had been given a lift back I had not seen the rising river level. So going back over the bridge I saw the growing effect of four inches of rain. Coming back, in that hour and half, the river had risen a good foot.

Therefore I did not do the baking on Friday, but went to look at the situation down in the next village. Well as my previous posts record there was flooding and I ended up having no power on Saturday too. However, what I have not said previously was that right from the moment I first moved to the village, I made sure I built up food stocks so that I could cope with any weather difficulties. At the time I was ridiculed for doing this. But as I was waiting for the cakes to cool, one of the villagers came knocking, did I have such and such they could borrow. With her two kids in tow, she told me that because of the power loss yesterday she had not been able to go shopping.

With the fresh baking smells emerging, I had to ask if the sprogs wanted a cake each. Well after two each, their mother tells me that they don't eat fruit of any kind or in any form. I was left speechless, as I am taciturn person she did not notice. However, at least I got a confirmation that the recipe worked.

I am frequently perplexed by the attitudes of some of the folks in this village. I only need to go to any one of the other villages around and people are far more positive. While I realise that the power going off was inconvenient, and had it gone on I would have been less sanguine, but I am sure that it was restored as quickly as it safely could be. But the reactions I have heard would have you thinking it was off for days.

Well I am just happy to sit back and eat cake.

4 comments:

tree ocean said...

If these are what we call cookies they look great!

Wood Mouse said...

They are meant to be cake shaped, as I got them out of the oven the cooling rack fell on them, on film too, (a good one for you tube?) and that flattened them a little. I should have used paper cases, like muffin cases, so that they rose. As it was even without the deflating effect of the cooling tray they spread out more than I intended. That was the bit that I had missed out on my notes. I need a portable memory!

I think you would call them cakes, but with the way you folks have adjusted English, I just don't know ;-)

Tonia said...

SO maybe more what we would call a muffin or a cupcake...
Yes we have definitely Expanded the English language!!Lol

Wood Mouse said...

Hi Tonia, you have hit the nail on the head, a cup cake. As I know that I have an international audience, I do sometimes struggle in finding the right words so that everyone understands what I am saying. But that is more about my not knowing my own language. Actually, on the subject of English and the differences between American and British meanings, there is a poor confused woman in Maine of our mutual acquaintance who thinks that this six foot male is wearing a child's dress. As I refer to a sweater as a Jumper, to to many Americans, a jumper is a child's dress. So my misuse of English has painted a strange mental picture in her mind.

However amusing miscommunication aside, often American seem to have a wider use of vocabulary and better use of English than do many British folks, so keep up the creativity.