Friday 2 October 2009

Red Kites and Lapwings

On Thursday I had need to go into Consett. As the day before I had been feeling a little under the weather, I had was not able to go and sit in a hide watching for the migrating birds. So it was delightful while on the Bus coming back from the town to see three young Red Kites wheeling in the sky over Ebchester.

I could tell they were young as the distinctive fork in the tail does not form until the birds get older. But the birds were low enough to be sure of identification. Also it is the first time that I have seen the birds over and around Ebchester, so they are extending their range too.

While I had other things to do in Consett, I used the opportunity to get something in special for K (the Wood Mouses better half) as she was coming over Thursday evening. I quite enjoy cooking when I am doing it for someone special, and as I am getting to know her tastes better, I can plan meals that I know she will like.

I have been trying to work out how you can tell if a relationship is serious, and on Thursday I finally found out. When you can have a serious and earnest discussion about the merits of an Iron and Ironing board. I should point out dear reader that as a scruffy Wood Mouse that is perpetually outdoors, I gave up Ironing a good while ago. But female Wood Mice have different (Better) standards, so we now own the accoutrements for pressing garments. Therefore I guess that the relationship no longer requires training wheels.

On the Friday, I had to make a small supermarket run. This was mainly to get the stuff for the cat. I think I should have trained her to do her own shopping, but I did not and I have to do it for her. So I got the free bus. As I have not used this for a while, preferring to shop in smaller shops than the major retailer that provides this service, I had not seen many of the senior woman from the village for a while too. I had a nice chat with one in particular who I get on well with, and when I told her about my better half, well I guess it is now the hot news in the village oral web.

I know that there have been a few folks that have spotted us together, and I have been told I have a new GF. Told mind you not asked. As our activities have been rather domestic when in the village, it has been amusing to hear the speculation. While we have not hidden ourselves away, it has rather interesting to see the way that folks have tried to ask without asking. Well I have no doubt that the news will spread now.

On the journey back from the major retailer, I spotted a large flock, fifty or so, Lapwings on a field. It is a sure sign that Autumn has arrived.

No comments: