Sunday 18 October 2009

Watch the Skies

No I don't mean for UFOs! For birds. I was sitting at my computer, reading some research material and exchanging some silly text messages with my better half when I looked up and saw not one, but three Red Kites gently gliding over the roof tops of the street. Now I could have dashed out to get some pictures, but I just sat there and delighted in the display they gave me. They are magnificent birds.

That brings me to blow my own trumpet a little, this morning there was a comment posted on one of my films of the red kites (I say one as there are several, is this OCD?) saying something similar. Well I had a look and discovered that my videos have been seen by over twenty thousand people. Now that really did shock me.

Also on the theme of keeping your eyes pealed, the other day I spotted two pairs of crows mobbing each other. It looked rather curious so I kept watching, only to realise the three were Magpies and the fourth was a Jackdaw and it was the Jackdaw that was trying to snatch food from the Magpies. When I first saw them it was at a distance, but as they flew nearer I could see the species and the behaviour. So it pays to watch even the most common bird.

While I may never see a UFO, I bet I will see more magnificent birds.

No comments: