Friday 29 October 2010

Lapwings

Having had my old (current at time of writing) Landlord advertised on the BBC Panorama programme and my new landlord worrying about the pipes freezing and bursting before I move in, I made a journey to check that everything was okay, and it was. As my old Landlord flooded the place when I moved in, having the new one taking an interest that the property does not deteriorate at least looks promising.

The only difficulty is that it meant I lost time packing. But I did use it as an opportunity to take the most delicate items with me. Further, having discovered that there is a small bus company that provides a service to the large village next to the hamlet I am moving to from Consett, the trip was less arduous than previous ones. Additionally, as it went through other remote countryside I was delighted to discover the hidden beauty. Once I have the time and opportunity, I will go back and get images that may show these undiscovered delights.

One part that I had not expected was to see large flocks of Lapwings feeding in the fields along with the sheep. As its upland hill farming country, it has to be sheep. However, what was remarkable about these Lapwings was simply that they were so close to the roadside. Often when they can be seen from the roadside they are near the middle or away from where people are or could be. Its the isolation and lack of disturbance that means the Lapwings feel safe with only the sheep and traffic for company.

The weather and wind will cause me problems, I am realistic about that, but given some fair weather, the early morning sun and early starts, I am sure that I will discover the delights hidden in the folds of the landscape.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Hello Mouse,
I've not been on the blog for a while due to lots of things happening here...congratulations on the new house! may the move be relatively painless!
and tell your better half that if she is becoming dizzy from the low carb diet to leave it at once. Carbs fuel the brain. She will lose weight by exercising and controlling the size of the food portions. Fad diets are dangerous.