Wednesday 20 October 2010

Good things come


Occasionally good things happen to you and occasionally you see good deeds done. Well today, I was blessed with both.

On the final leg of a long journey home after having signed the tenancy for a new home, I was on the bus when the driver helped a senior lady. She needed to get back to Consett but the bus was going the wrong way for her needs. After checking he realised that he would be the next bus returning, so suggested that she got on to get out of the cold. Now while the bus company does get paid for carrying passengers with concession travel tickets, it was what happened next that showed it was no cynical act. As he got to a point where she could have got off and waited for another bus, at least getting her home quicker, he gave her the choice. She chose to remain in the warm and seeing this just made me feel warm inside.

As I said at the start, I was returning from having just signed the lease on a new house. It has not been easy to get, as so many Agents are trying to play games with the market and are trying to artificially keep, or maintain the illusion, that rents are still rising.

But I now have the place and will be moving soon. It has a much larger kitchen, and will enable me to be creative there, but also and more importantly it has the elements that both I and my better half want and need too.

As for the location, well it is in a rather isolated village, high on the Durham Fells. In fact I am all but looking down on wind turbines. Therefore, I am expecting this to be an interesting first winter!As there is no gas to the village, the heating will be with Coal or Logs, so both you dear reader and I can expect some interesting times. I made the agents representative laugh as he described it as a one horse place, however I had to correct him on that as I am sure the horses out number the people.

When I got back the first thing I did was call my better half and tell her that we now have a home for her when she needs to escape university. Hopefully she will approve or this mouse is in trouble.

1 comment:

tree ocean said...

well it sounds lovely
If that fireplace is all you have for a heat source, speaking from experience,put your comfy armchair and footstool there and something cozy to sit on the floor 'cos you will be huddled around that fire all winter!

(hopefully your winters are milder than mine )

you may want to buy a little corded electric heater you can move from room to room. I assume your stove's electric, well at least if you run it with the door open it won't hurt if you stick you head in the oven.. Might be melting the icicles out of your hair that way. heheh, no, really it's lovely, pray you both have many happy memories!