Monday 22 October 2007

A Day Watching Wildlife

When I bought my new digital camera, a second hand one off of the Internet, it was very much with wildlife photography in mind. While I am still a fan of old fashioned film, I had grown to see the real advantages derived from digital. Therefore I decided I would head off and put the camera through its paces yesterday and headed off to a hide to try and photograph some small birds.

As with any public hides, you do have to put up with “the experts” who always seem to know better and will always tell you what you have just missed. Yesterday was no exception and the moment I was through the door I was being told I had just missed seeing a Yellowhammer. Now there is a great community sprit among wildlife watchers, and I know that my enthusiasm for what I have seen can create a blurred fog in the eyes of strangers. Yet often some of my fellow wildlife watchers don’t seem to know when to just observe. Sometimes it cam be like listening to a bad commentary on an otherwise great wildlife documentary.

Although, many pairs of eyes can mean that you get to see more as we are all looking in different directions. Therefore, even with one person pontificating about what they can see, its normally the person with the most expensive gear, there is a great shared experience gained from using public hides.

This one in Thornley Wood is set up specifically to allow the observation of small birds. Many you will see in the English garden, but on a much more grand scale. There are feeders and simple bird tables set up around a small pond, and you can see the tits and a myriad other birds flitting on and off the tables and feeders. Some you will only get a brief look at, others will stay a while longer, but all relatively close. In fact at this hide you often don’t need binoculars to watch the birds. That can encourage children and young people to start watching Birds and wildlife in general.

However, I knew that yesterday was going to be a good day as on my way to the hide I saw two Red Kites while on the bus. I had wanted to get off and photograph them but as it was a Sunday I knew I would have a long wait for the next bus, so I just enjoyed watching them.

At the hide there were several people with big expensive cameras, in the past I perhaps would have been just like them, except that I always felt self continuous about appearing flashy or pretentious, and to be quite honest conversations about equipment drive me mad. Therefore I was grateful that my little camera doesn’t make my look as if I have a problem with the size of my phallus. As for me it’s about seeing and if I can photograph what I do see.

Also, while I do enjoy seeing the rare and less common species, its not about ticking it off some list, I see sighting something less common as a good indication that we are doing something right with and about our environment. Therefore, I am always happy to see birds like the Blue Tit, Great Tit or the Chaffinch, picture above.




However seeing birds like the Great spotted Woodpecker (see image) or the Yellowhammer is a treat too, and one that I had yesterday. What also made the day rather special was a brief glance of a Deer, a roe deer I think, and a fox that came trotting through the clearing.

I would loved to have stayed longer among the strangers there, but the chatter of the expert was driving me mad so I left early and went for a walk. It is somewhere I will be returning to as apart from being a beautiful place it is rich with wildlife.

No comments: