Wednesday 24 October 2007

Osprey Migration

Not that far from where this mouse lives is Derwent Reservoir. As well as being an important water resource it is also important as a trout fishery and a nature reserve. It is somewhere that I want to make time to visit but that will have to wait until I have more time. However, today I was close by, I had an appointment to attend, and I was frustrated as I was not really able to take my camera with me, especially as I was seeing Herons in the air. However, while I was waiting for the bus home, I saw a bird of prey that was unusual to my eyes. It was a distance away but it looked like it might be a Buzzard, but that looked wrong. I wracked my brain, and in the end I thought that it could be an Osprey. Now I cannot say for certain that is what I saw but it does appear that the Scottish ospreys do travel via this route on their migration to Africa so all the behaviour traits fit.

If it was an Osprey, it just shows that keeping your eyes open can provide rewards.



No comments: