Thursday 18 October 2007

Moorhen


Watching wildlife can be very therapeutic, and yesterday as I had a lot on my mind, I decided that I would visit one of the public hides at one of the nature reserves near to me. When I headed out, my main intention was to get some shopping, but it was not until I was nearing my destination that in my minds eye, I could see my Cash card sitting on the table waiting for me to pick it up. Therefore, I decided I would change my plan and visit the hide instead. I didn’t have my binoculars but as I always carry my camera, I knew that I might be able to see something.

When I arrived the hide was occupied by to elderly gentlemen, they were saying I hope you have brought some wildlife with you. Therefore I was expecting it to be a poor observation day. They had big spotting scopes and they were looking over the other side of this large pond. And recording numbers of Snipe, Lapwing and Teal, all this I know because of the conversation they were having over my head. They seemed to be the Birders who are just interested in the numbers of less common birds they can see. However even while they were talking loudly above and behind me, I was seeing much more than that. Coot, Moorhen, Teal, Artic Turns, Mallard, Grey Heron, Snipe and Lapwing.

One thing that became obvious to me though was that their loud voices were keeping the birds away. I was just thinking of moving on myself when they decided that they would drive back to their home(s) because of the football. Apparently some England match, we probably lost, but as I have no interest I just don’t care. Almost as soon as they left, the birds started coming in closer. While it is up to each individual how they carry out their ornithology, the fact that the birds started coming closer to the hide as soon as they stopped making so much noise, would have been a lesson to them but as they had gone by then it was one they will not learn. Further it probably explains why they both had such large scopes.

Left in peace and quite, I was able to fully relax and enjoy the majesty of these birds. I do enjoy watching the birds on the water and will probably keep on returning throughout the coming winter. As I left the hide and locked up, something caught my eye and I saw a Kestrel hovering in the sky. I tried to get nearer so that I could take a picture that would be a grey blur, as it dived. I think it must have been successful as it flew away after this, a magnificent sight to see.





No comments: