Saturday 5 April 2008

Scamper on By

Yesterday, Thursday, I was up very early as I wanted to try and film the Roe Deer. Using the techniques utilised by professional film makers, conservationists and ecologists, I set up a camera overlooking a known path that the Deer use. Once set running, I was able to withdraw back and watch a secondary route.

While I had chosen my path to the location carefully and the prevailing wind was in my favour, eddies and fluctuations made me doubtful that I would have any success. This lack of expectation didn't make me feel disillusioned as the air was filled with the myriad sounds of birds singing their mating songs, welcoming Spring. While I was cold, I was kept busy as I tried to film some of the birds while I waited. I had baited the ground with seeds to attract them, but in the gloom before the sunlight threaded its way through the trees, was not conducive to filming. So I stayed and drank in the delights of chill spring morning with only the the local ecology there to keep me company.

While I did not see that much, it was a delight to see yellow hammer and Bullfinches in their pristine breading plumage. I also was able to see pheasant wandering about, normally they will run, its one of the quirks of pheasant that they are very reluctant to take to the air so they normally run away. As I was still and quiet the wildlife was getting quite close to me before realising I was even there.

Then after nearly three hours, I realised I was not going to see the Deer, but I could have recorded the Deer on the other camera. I had three tapes to review. As I knew that it was unlikely I would disturb the Deer now, I slowly walked up the route I had expected the deer to come from. I saw fresh prints and droppings so while I was hopeful it also appeared that the deer had not traversed the path in front of the camera but had taken another track.

Well the short compilation of what did appear shows that there was plenty of wildlife activity but no Deer, well not this time anyway.



No comments: