Thursday 12 June 2008

Any colour but Green


While my posting about the Green Festival was about all the difficulties I had trying to get there, and the difficulties of some friendships, when I actually got there I did have a good time. One of the first things that greeted my eyes were the colours of the healing area.



While I could have spent all day taking pictures, and there was a lot to feast my eyes upon, I was also aware that I was much older than most of the other people there. Now I don't know what its like in other parts of the world, but over here it is becoming increasingly impossible to take photographs in public places where other people are. While you actually have a legal right to do so, if you take pictures anywhere where children are, people start getting paranoid. Even carrying a camera anywhere near where children are can cause conflict. So I quite deliberately was very selective about what images I created.



However, my main reason for attending the festival was to keep in touch with what is happening with the environmentally committed. It made such a refreshing change to be able to say the words “Climate Change” without seeing that glazed, or should I say double glazed (its more energy efficient), expression materialise. Although I did feel that far to many of the exhibitors were pitching their communication at to low a level, as most of the people visiting the event already know and understand environmental issues.



That said there was one charity that had something that I had not seen before, or heard of but as I am doing a bit more research on that topic, I will leave that for another posting as the subject is worthy of a posting on its own. But one thing that I had heard about was a woman, Ingrid Wagner, who was aiming to break a world record, with knitting. I am sure that is the same the world over, that on local regional news there are the quirky stories of the eccentrics that do strange things. Well I had seen this story some weeks ago on the local TV news. Therefore when I spotted this woman with these enormous knitting needles I knew something about her already.



Now personally I don't give two figs about world records, it the quality of the person that counts, but I do wish her well in the endeavour as it is helping raise funds for charity, and its a daft idea that is using material that would have gone into the rubbish bin.



So as you can see the Green Festival was far more colourful.








No comments: