Monday 2 June 2008

Birds Fledging and Foxes in the Yard


Yesterday, I mentioned that I had see the newly fledged chicks of Tree Sparrows in the yard. I could tell they were newly fledged as they had tufts on their heads and you could just see the last of the gape. So being enterprising I set up the video, sprinkled a spot of ground with Black Sunflower seeds, and set the camera to record. For three hours.

I did not review the tapes until today, as last night I went on my rounds of the Badger Setts, but to hear about that you will need to read on. From three hours of filming I got less then two minutes of footage. So that was an interesting three hours for me. I did not get the chicks but I got both the adults, and they had a good feast, refuelling ready for a second brood. I am quite pleased with the film and the last bit I repeated in slow motion as the male flying off looked so elegant.

While I was reviewing the footage I spotted a pair of starlings. Only to be joined by five more. While they do flock together, at this time of year that can only mean a family of newly fledged birds. I know that just out back of me in a neighbours roof space starlings are nesting, so I went out and watched as the last of six fledged. My neighbours are now convinced that I am a total odd ball, as I set up the camera to film any more over the six coming out, and stood there for three hours, but without seeing any more emerge. I have to say that it my antics did draw comment and its the first time that I have been handed a mug of Tea while standing on the street corner watching wildlife.

As I said I was out in the night checking on the badgers, I know that there are several with cubs, and I wanted to discover who the parents were. But while I saw the sows with the cubs, I was not able to say for sure who was the mother of which cub. The badgers here are rather exceptional as younger unmated females seem to play a greater role in the care of the cubs that is normal.


Anyway I always type up my notes straight away so that I get everything down while fresh in my memory. While doing this I heard a cat, looking out into the yard, I saw one of the local cats in there. It was hissing at something, so carefully removing my cat from my lap, and yes it is difficult to type while stroking a cat, I went down stairs. When I opened the back door I was greeted by the sight of a fox cub. It could not have been more than ten or twelve weeks old. I dashed to grab the Camera, but it was gone when I got back there. It must have rushed off, as did the cat when I appeared. Did I save it from the Cat? I don't know, but I can be sure that the vixen is close by somewhere. So I guess I will be out looking for her now too.


No comments: