Wednesday 30 July 2008

Buses, Interesting Places and Foreign Food

Over the weekend just gone there were changes to the local buses. While nothing significant regarding the places I need to get to, or the times today was the first time I had need to use the amended service. I had to travel into Consett for some shopping and first aspect that I noticed was as the bus went through Shotley Bridge it turned off to the left. This took the bus into the heart of that village instead of it going along the lower part of the village. While I hadn't yet explored this part of the village I was wowed by just how attractive it is and the architecture. I will have to make some time to explore. For me this change is an improvement as it creates access to a new location for me, and judging by the increase in the number of passengers on the return, now provides a service that was needed.

It was funny, as yesterday I had a very different experience. I had planned my journey to Teesside carefully, but the first and my local bus into Newcastle developed a fault. The driver had cause to use the horn, because of a badly driven truck, but the horn stuck in the on position. The driver pulled up and contacted his depot or dispatcher and they would send a replacement bus. Well he got the horn working again, or should that be not working again so we could continue. I fully applauded his actions, but it did mean that I was going to miss my connections.

Therefore my journey took far longer than planned. I don't think that there was anyone to blame for that it was just one of those things that life throws up from time to time. However by having to get the slower bus, it did make me realise that there are some interesting places that may well be worth exploring.

Anyway, I had some shopping to do, greengrocer and butchers. I also wanted to go back to a wonderful Polish food store that has opened in Consett. I love the discovery of new flavours that exploring the cuisine of other cultures brings and I am excited by the sausages and deli foods there. I have some Polish cheese, now having never had Polish cheese before it will be interesting to see what its like.

It is ironic that when I have had to talk about racism and racist attitudes locally and that I find myself marvelling at the culinary wonders that other peoples bring us. As when left the shop I half heard what I think was a disparaging comment made towards me. The assumption I think was that I must be Polish This follows yesterday night as I left the Chinese Take Away in my village when someone shouted a racist epithet.

I don't want to give or create the impression that everyone here in the North East is racist or bigoted, but it has to be said that there is a very insular attitude shown by many people here. I far to frequently will hear offensive and racist language used. Most noticeable if there is any football match going on, and here its almost impossible to avoid football as its the compulsory religion here. Personally I think that it is this mindset that has held back the North East region for years. It is changing for the better, but there are remnants that remain especially in the former industrial areas, just where I live too.

It is a real shame as the location is fantastic, the majority of the people are lovely, friendly and welcoming. It is just that minority that let the region down and let themselves down.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why would anyone yell 'racist epithets' at someone who is simply ordering from a Chinese takeaway restaurant? Or anyone for that matter?
The North East sounds highly racist. I just hope the trolls are in the minority, as you say, for your own sake.

Anonymous said...

please don't take this advice. :D You could return with, "I would rather be ------ than a racist!" (and then run) T