Thursday 10 July 2008

Weather and Badgers

I don't know what's happened to the Summer? I placed my order last year and I am still waiting for the Royal Mail to deliver it.

But seriously, for the next two days I am expecting heavy rain. Down in the South West of England, there are six flood alerts. The rain that has already started is expected to greatly increase the risk of flooding and there are flood alerts in my region too.

I had been hoping to go out to watch the badgers tonight, but there are only so many soakings any mouse can take.

Before I go on ranting about the weather, there are developments on the Badger front. I now have permission again to access the main sett that I have been watching. The problem as my regular reader will know, was that other people were going on to the land and causing damage. However, that was only part of the story, as there was a pair of Red Kites nesting very close. I could not disclose this as, there was a serious risk of disturbance. Unfortunately there are some people who do not find these birds as magical as most people do. I wanted to film them but I don't have a licence to do that yet, but next year who knows. Anyway, the happy news is one chick fledged.

Also as my regular reader may know, or did I send that reader to sleep? I have been trying to write a book on the Badgers. I had two potential publishers that were interested. One pulled out due to the Credit Crunch, the other one has also decided not to proceed. They were only really interested in the book, the project had the government gone ahead with a cull of Badgers. They wanted a book that was full of conflict. As people in the UK will know the government has rejected a cull of Badgers to control TB. At least they have followed the science. But while it has curtailed the book for the moment, I will continue observing the badgers. However, I will reduce my observations so I can do other things too. So watch out I will inflict it all on you folks.

Anyway, back to the weather. One thing that I have done is bought some ex army extreme weather gloves. I have bought them during the summer as they were a quarter of the price they were in the winter. That will ensure that this winter I should remain more comfortable than I was during the last. If it was not for the enjoyment I get from seeing the wildlife, I would think I was mad. My psychiatrist may even agree with me.

However there is a serious point that I want to make about the weather. On the news I am getting sick of hearing that this weather is nothing to do with Climate change. These type of events are all in line with the events forecast in the climate models. Its almost as if everyone is trying to ignore the real effects of dangerous Climate change we are all seeing.

One good thing that this weather will do for me though is, I will have the time to continue with cataloguing the video that I have been filming. I have only just reached the film I shot in May, and at least once I get on top of all this I will be able to find the stuff properly. I think I just need someone to keep me in order.


No comments: