Friday 4 July 2008

Golden Eagles

Sometimes there is a strange syncronicity in events. Just last week I had my first chance to see a Golden Eagle, well two as it was a pair. I think people must think I have suffered a facial injury as I have not stopped grinning from ear to ear. Then yesterday, the media were running the story of a report by Scottish Natural Heritage about the decline of the Golden Eagles.

Now to make it clear for my overseas reader, we do have strong laws to protect wildlife in this country, and Golden Eagles are listed as schedule one protected under the wildlife and countryside act 1980 There are also other laws that protect them, but the reasons for the decline in Scotland is that Game Keepers are poisoning them. Not just the Eagles, but all birds of prey.

While organisations like the RSPB and others investigate this and support the police, often it comes down to lack of direct evidence linking the crime to the person(s) involved. One of the aspects that has been clear to me from listening to and reading these stories over the years, is that the Police the RSPB et al know who is responsible. I just wish that organisations like the Country Landowners Association would take their heads out of their A*@#s and stop covering up and supporting their members who are guilty of these crimes.

This is a problem that's not unique to Scotland, living on the county Durham and Northumberland border, here we should have Golden Eagles here. The habitat is perfect for them, but they are absent because of the actions of a few.

Again there is serendipity in action here, as just the other day I described an incident where I took a local villager to see the Badgers. Then talking to a tree again, don't worry my psychiatrist knows about this, she commented that perhaps it is better to not disclose where the wildlife is as some people seem to lack respect for our planets fellow inhabitants, it could be that she is right. While I would love to tell everyone where they can see beautiful creatures, the reality is that not everyone sees them with respect.

Personally, I just happy that I saw Golden Eagles. But I am also happy that I see the sparrows that are nesting on my roof and feeding in my yard, or the collard doves, or... you get the picture.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We have the same problem on our side of the pond. Raptors of every sort are preyed upon by farmers, ranchers, and even pigeon fanciers. You wouldn't believe how many Bald Eagles, the totem animal of the United States, are found poisoned or shot.