Wednesday 30 July 2008

A Wildlife Watchers Gem

Yesterday I went off exploring, and much further afield than normal. Because of events in the news, I had looked at the area on Google Earth and realised that this was and would be a great location for wildlife.

The events I mention are the Back from the Dead canonist John Darwin. What I find most disturbing about this whole episode is that he nearly got away with it. Even though he had a reputation as a bad landlord and was known to be days away from bankruptcy. Even from reports at the time of his disappearance, very few of the locals thought he was really missing, just hiding from his creditors.

So instead of Darwinism meaning Evolution it now means devolution, or the stupid act of a stupid man.

Anyway, I decided to visit the area. I nearly went to Tees mouth years ago, but my ex wife dissuaded me that it was a dirty and foul place to visit. She was influenced by local prejudice. There is an unhealthy contempt for people from other towns here sometimes. But I have to say that the location is fantastic.

While the River Tees and the mouth of the river is heavily industrialised with chemical plants, power stations, oil and gas and the freight terminal. Because of these industrial activities there are large areas that are waste land that is left to and managed for the wildlife.

I was spoilt for choice, there are the sand dunes a very important habitat, where I found many species of butterflies and plants. I was kicking myself as I had not taken my equipment for close up filming. I could have spent the whole day just filming and photographing the butterflies. While I have not reviewed the footage yet, I may have some interesting film. Then there are the birds. Tees mouth is a National Nature reserve and internationally important for many wading birds who come in winter to feed on the mud flats. However even in the summer it is a wonderful place. At one point I saw three kestrels hunting in the same general area. While that shows that the kestrels are doing well, it also shows that the small mammal population must be good to support that number. Further while I was trying to film the Kestrels, I am like a child wanting to see if I have got anything decent there, I noticed a bird out of the corner of my eye perched on the fence by the bridal path I was on. When I had a chance to look, I realised it was an Owl. I think it was a short eared owl but I am not certain. Although I latter discovered that was probably correct as they are there in reasonable numbers. But as I swung the camera around it flew off and disappeared from my sight. I spent about half an hour looking, but to no avail.

I would have loved to have spent more time there, but I had to get back home. The journey down had been a difficult one, because the first bus had been late, there were missed connections all the way, and I knew it would be a long journey back as I had stayed longer than I intended. However I will be going back and soon as this really is a wildlife watchers gem.


No comments: