Wednesday 29 October 2008

Muntjac Deer

Tonight on the Autumn watch programme, they were talking about Muntjac Deer. Also know as Chinese Water Deer.

Now earlier in the year I was told of a sighting of one in my local wood, while I did not dismiss this out of hand, I was very sceptical, as it was more likely to have been a Roe Deer Kid and thus far I personally have seen no evidence of them. However, on more than one occasion I have heard a rather strange Deer bark. Not typical of the Roe Deer, but that is what I had assumed it was. I even went looking one time and found what I assumed to be the foot prints of a baby Roe Deer.

But after tonight's show where they showed the difference in the prints and played a recording of a Muntjac and a Roe Deer, I think it is possible that there could be Muntjac in my local woods. I personally have not seen one, but I hope if they are there I will see one. Add to this the details of how they are spreading across Britain. They are using the railway network as green corridors, and that Chopwell wood has a disused rail line running through it, then it looks likely that there is a population here.

I will have to keep my eyes and ears open. Now this brings me to another bit of news. As my regular reader will know, last year I experienced my first time on the back of a horse. I did have a previous experience on the back of a pony, but I was only three, and it was London Zoo. Anyway I have long thought that I would like to learn to ride. As I have long wanted to see the countryside from horseback. Also I have thought that it would be a great way of seeing and getting closer to wildlife.

Well, last week when in Consett I spotted a flyer in the window of one shop about pony trekking trips and that they could take novices. So I went back with a pen and paper to get the details and I will be contacting them soon. Now it may well be that it leads to nothing, and I can already hear my experienced horse riding reader rolling around on the floor laughing her head off, but I want to give it a try at least. So I will keep you posted on that. At the very least I am sure that my (mis)adventures will keep you folks laughing at me.

However, I suspect that if I can learn how to drive a horse, at least the right peddles to push, then it could be a good way of getting closer to the Deer be they Roe or Muntjac.
Finally, on a previous posting I was talking about doing something regarding food and cooking. While I had a reasonable idea of what I wanted to do, I also wanted to try and create an amusing way of doing this so that it did not come across as preachy or condescending. Well I think that I have found the right format to do this. I don't want to reveal all just yet, but I will be making a video podcast and I hope that I can put it out via I-Tunes. While I will also put them on You Tube too, I am looking at creating a web site too.

I have already started filming some bits for it, and it is exciting my creative juices, but I do feel rather foolish talking to myself (well the Camera) while trying to cook. And it is taking me longer to prepare meals as I am now also thinking about how it looks on camera. Well at least I am not leaving the dishes to pile up as I normally do.


No comments: