Monday 6 October 2008

Trouble with Technology

This is a bit of a catch up posting, recently I posted regarding the Large Hadron Collider. Well as you folks may have heard in the news it has had to be shut down because of a fault. Well today I have been playing catch up on stories like that and it turns out that it was a leak of Helium. Now as you may know if your breath in helium it gives you a high pithed voice, so I just wonder what it was that alerted the folks in CERN to that.

Talking of faults, I have been having problems with my computer. It is not any virus or spy wear as I have checked carefully. I keep an active check on that and regularly, at least once a week, run an active scan. I first noticed the problem when trying to download some of the varied podcasts that I listen to via I tunes. Therefore, I thought that the problem may have been with the site. Then I started not being able to log on to Blogger, and when I checked they knew that there was a problem there, so again I ignored the problem, as inconvenient as it was, thinking it was out of my control.

However, the problems seemed to be getting worse and files seemed to becoming corrupted. I am careful to back things up, but it was becoming annoying. Then to top it all I was not able to upload video to the computer. So I did a full system check and again no problems were apparent. So I finally called out a chap to look at the machine. Well it looks as though the mother board on this computer is not well at all. I did buy this as pre owned, and it turns out that a repair has been made to the board, it had a split or break and this was, or should I say is, what's causing the problem. He did a fine job removing the excess solder that he thinks was bridging circuits. The upshot is that I need a new computer. Oh (Add your own expletive). I guess I know how the scientists at CERN felt, but with a deeper voice.


3 comments:

tree ocean said...

you might be able to replace the motherboard cheaper...but, as I was reading, they can be difficult to remove and sometimes hard to get at, which might be why yours was cracked in the first place. However, it sounds like the PC guy was able to take it out to work on the solder...sorry to hear...:(

Nancy said...

Woodmouse, your registry is probably full of errors. There is a program that sells for fifty dollars or so that will help remove the garbage on your machine.You will be surprised at how much has built up on the hard drive over a relatively short period of time.
If you write me offline I can tell you about it. No, I do not sell it, and no, I am not getting paid to say this. I was simply told by my father (a computer technician) that this was the way to keep my three year old computer running a while longer, and it has. I use three programs twice a week to clean up the machine, and no problems.

Wood Mouse said...

Hi Nancy,

I am sure that you are right, it is just that I am a computer illiterate geek, so don't understand all this.

I would contact you but without an address I am lost as to how to do that.