Monday 1 December 2008

Looking Forward to Scotland

I have now been sent the details of the job up in Scotland and for the most part I have done before everything that will form part of my duties. It was interesting though that will I said that I was happy for all this to be sent via Email it was in fact printed off and sent by post.

There was further details of the accommodation and I am happy with that too. While it had been described as a cottage it is in fact a house with four bedrooms, well three and a box room. That box room will be my office. Also the place has a garden, very neglected but if I have the time I may get some vegetables growing there.

The only aspect that is making me feel a little unsure is that it has a wood stove for the heating, hot water and cooking. Now I know that at least one of my readers could tell me some tales about cooking this way, but I have never had to use a system like this. So at the very least it could lead to some interesting posts. Also among the gubbings sent to me was a note from the man who turns out to be the boss of the person who appointed me. Asking me to wring him as soon as I got the information. Well I did and I finally got to talk to him today (Sunday).

Our conversation seemed to start really badly as he said that he was not happy with the way I had been appointed. This lead to us talking at crossed purposes, until I had been reassured that the position was mine. The difficulty he had was simply that in the previous two years others had been appointed but had quit after only a few weeks as they could not cope with the isolation. Now while I can be happy in my own company, we all need human contact but I am reasonably sure that I will be able to cope. Anyway, from the details sent there is a Post Bus so I will not be stranded either. Also, while I will have a lot of work to do, I will also have the time to film and take photographs as well as observe the wildlife.


This did reassure him a bit, then we started talking about the accommodation. Well it seams that the biggest problem is and has been the electricity. Winds bring the power lines down regularly. So they are thinking of installing a generator. At this I said well that's not very green, and rather costly. I suggested why not get some solar panels so that they can charge 12 volt batteries and run the lighting off a 12 volt system? After a little chat about this he realised that it could be the solution. It could run a small fridge such as used in caravans (Trailers) also it could power a lap top too. And for about the same it was likely to have cost buy the generator and to have it fitted.

I also suggested that a solar hot water system could be fitted at the same time. I was surprised at just how receptive he was to this. It turns out that one of the thoughts that the charity has had was to use this property as a holiday let specifically for wildlife watchers. As not far from the place is a regular Osprey nest (that's why I have not revealed the exact location here), as well as it being Red Deer territory.

We also talked about how I was going to cope with shopping and getting supplies. I said that I should be able to get most of my needs delivered, and while there would likely be a charge, I was content to do that. Also, I could easily revert to a vegetarian diet and rely on stocks of pulses and nuts for my protein. Anyway, he seemed reassured that I was likely to be able to cope with the isolation.

Again, I still need to remember that all this is dependent upon the charity getting the grant they have applied for. I also discovered that previously they have had to repay the grant as the people appointed were not willing or able to stick with the job. He also told me that if there was a problem with getting the grant, that he would keep me in mind should any other post came up as he was delighted to talk to someone with such a positive attitude towards natural history.

One last thing that was amusing about our conversation, when he was talking about the problems with the power, he asked how would I cope with no television? Fine I said as I normally listen to the radio. Now he thought I meant music but when I told him that I mean speech radio he was more than a little surprised as he could not remember the last time he had spoken to someone that prefers to read or listen the radio. Anyway he said that I should have been living in a different age.


2 comments:

tree ocean said...

With the woodstove for those purposes it is easy to go without power except for one major thing-water. Is there a hand pump? (and hopefully in the house)

The real problem for me when I am out of power is no computer. wah!!! Back to candles kerosene,and notebooks(the paper kind) and battery run radios.

You said you heat your water on the stove now-running a woodstove for water is no big deal and it stays warm a long time. Plus you'll want it to burn off that Scottish chill....LOL

Nancy said...

I think we should all be living in a different age!

Solar panels now actually come in backpacks that will power a laptop computer. I don't know if they would power lights, but solar lights for gardens are available that charge themselves. Your suggestions are very good.

You will have your cat, won't you? That will give you some company, and hopefully you will still be connected online so we can 'talk'. Good luck! and I hope that the charity gets the grant!