Friday 5 December 2008

White Cold and Wet

Well it snowed last night and along with it came the high winds as per the forecast. I stayed up to watch it start as I had a film sequence in my minds eye that I wanted to film, but the high wind stopped the snow from behaving normally, thus I was not able to film the stop motion effect of the snow building up as I had wanted.

It also caused some disruption, as I said in a previous post I wanted to go and get some shopping and the journey into town was slow as the bus driver took great care. I got what I needed and as I had some time to kill before getting the bus back I popped into one of the charity (Thrift) shops. I have been in before and bought a couple of natural history books. So when I went in one of the assistances told me that she had a book that had just come in that I may be interested in. I was and with a strange coincidence it is a book that I had recommended to a reader of this nonsense that is my web log just a week or so ago. A book on the Blackbird. While there I also spotted something that I have been looking for, a rain cover for the video camera. While it is not exactly for the same model as mine, I can adjust to make it fit. So fifteen pounds lighter I now have this book and a rain coat for my camera. See what happens when it snows.

When I got back I then had to fight with my neighbour as to who was going to clear the path. I lost. They are a wonderfully independent couple and I am glad that they are able to just get on and enjoy life even though they are in their seventies.

I was able to get out and do some filming but before I set out I made sure that I was well clothed for the trip. That makes it sound like an expedition. However, as I have found myself out in bitter weather in the past, I am now much better prepared. Thus before I left the house I was in danger of cooking, oven ready mouse! But I was grateful as I was able to spend four hours or so out in sub zero and latter just over zero temperatures and feel comfortable and happy. This actually bodes well for more of my wildlife watching as previously I have had to cut short some previous attempts to watch or film wildlife because of the cold. I have invested in some good gear that has proved its worth today. While the Wood Mouse is hardy (foolhardy) it was nice to return home and not have to sit in the fridge to get warm for a change. Still look a scruffy mouse though.

Anyway here is my little attempt to film the effects of the weather today.




No comments: