Sunday 10 January 2010

Birds in the Snow

With the duvet of snow covering the ground, roofs, well everything, I have seen more birds visiting my bird feeders. Further I have been throwing more seeds and nuts into the snow, particularly on to the roof of what was the outside toilet back in the dark days when we had to freeze to go. Anyway, while some of this seed was getting covered with fresh falls, enough was being found by the birds.

It did create some rather interesting effects, as when the snows first started there was some melting and the foot prints of sparrows looked like I had Eagles feeding in the back yard. I wish! However, it did spark the question in my mind of how are the Red Kites coping? I had not seen them for several weeks, then yesterday I spotted one soaring and searching for food. I have no idea if the bird found any, but hope that the raptor did.

That was not the only exciting bird that I saw yesterday, as I spotted a Jay that was feeding on the peanuts I had scattered about. It was the cawing of the Jackdaws that alerted me to the bird, but while I only saw it once, it shows that feeding the birds really benefits the birds.

Unfortunately I did not see them myself, but apparently there was a flock of what sounds like goldfinches seen rising from my back yard. The funny part is that the person who informed me of this finally understood why I feed the birds.

I was also putting water out for the birds, but the dog bowl that I use as their bird bath is now lost under the snow. Well I will have to wait for the thaw to find it now. As today it is above freezing and there is some melting happening, perhaps that will not be too long.

No comments: