Saturday 2 January 2010

Snow, Snow everywhere

Yesterday my better half and I were able to spend the whole day together. This is something that is quite rare for us as while we see each other frequently, these are often snatched hours within our busy schedules. Therefore, it was a really nice change to be able to just be together as a couple and share being together. Part of the reason why this occurred was simply as a result of there being no public transport and because of the snow. Had it not been for these factors she would have dashed off so she could get to work this morning.

However, a quick check on the bus and train times showed that she could still make it to work without having to spend hours, and I mean hours, travelling. Effectively the snow yesterday had cut off my village yesterday anyway.

This illustrates a problem that occurs as an attitude problem that people have with adverse weather conditions. Even when there is moderate amount of snow, the majority of people assume that they can do every thing that they normally do where there is no snow. When I know there is snow, or that travelling conditions may be difficult, I allow extra time and change my plans should I need to. Therefore people create their own problems by trying to do things that are not sensible in adverse weather.

In the not to distant past, I am talking about within living memory, people would stock up for winter and would be prepared to cope with these situations. It was one of my first actions when I first moved to the village was to prepare for the occasional loss of power and weather conditions where travelling would be impossible. By keeping a reasonably well stocked cupboard and even getting a camping stove so that I can cook and boil water. I have had need to use it too, not often fortunately, but its there when I need it.

I realise that people have to get to work and get on with their lives, but in the heavy snow as has been falling recently, it is the unnecessary journeys that really cause the problems. This is where people assume they can still drive to the pub or visit friends when the road conditions are not sensible to be driving in. Every time there is snow, the media carries reports of people that get caught in the snow where they are ill prepared. We are not talking about people having to be equipped for a major expedition, but folks going out in the snow as though it were a summer drive. People that don't even take a coat with them as example.

It was alarming to see on New years eve that cars travelling through the village were speeding. In the short walk to the village shop and back, I saw more than ten cars that nearly crashed as a result of their speed.

Well personally, I will stay in hibernation as much as I can while the snow persists.

No comments: