Sunday 3 January 2010

New Year New Plans

As my long suffering reader already knows, last year I acquired a better half. I was not really looking for a partner in crime but a wonderful whirlwind came crashing into my life. So while there are aspects of the last year that I am glad to see the back off, this addition to my life is the one aspect that I am most happy to carry forth into this year.

There had to be changes to my life as a result of this, and some of these changes have been and will be reflected in what I post here. Also, towards the latter third of the year, I suffered from the effects of the recession. As many will have already worked out, much of the postings here are made on the back off the economic activity I was doing. But no matter how careful I was, it is often the folks you deal with who let you down. There were indications of the problems ahead off my publisher going bust, but I took people at their word when they reassured me that everything was fine. Equally, the recession has clearly effected my landlord. As repairs and services that they are legally obliged to carry out they have constantly failed to do.

Therefore my better half and I have taken these aspects into mind as we plan what what we want for our future. While this is not set in stone, one of the changes that could happen in this coming year is that I may be moving. Part of the rational here is that while I like the location of this cottage, and it worked while I was single, even before I met K, I could see that it would not be ideal for two. When we are together those aspects become manifest. For example the kitchen is so small and badly laid out that only one person can be in there at a time. Even before my better half and I were an item, opening the oven blocked half the kitchen. That makes it actually quite dangerous.

So we are looking and while there have been a couple of interesting possibilities, nothing has yet grabbed us as feeling like a home we can make together. There is no rush, but at some point in the coming year you could expect me to be posting about a change that will require exploring new land.

Even if we don't move just yet, we have started getting furniture and appliances together. You can tell that its serious when a couple do that. As the cottage is small, we needed a table that would allow us to share a meal in a civilised and comfortable way. We did find one that we could afford and was small enough to fit in without dominating the room, but in the time we debated getting it, it went. While there are advantages about sharing these decisions, it can lead to a lack of decisiveness. However, as we do share similar tastes, when I found another one, although slightly larger, it was one that we both liked. That was fortunate as I got it before my better half could see it. Phew!

As well as a new, pre loved, table, I had to replace the kettle too. I don't replace items like that to match the décor nor do I just get something new just because it is getting old. My old kettle was a good energy efficient appliance, but had stared leaking from the water level indicator window. As it was just a trace it was not urgent. However, when it started dripping water on my better half's bare feet, I had visions of scalded feet that occurred to one of my readers. Therefore, we made choices and decided to wait for the post Christmas sales. And we are really pleased with the choice we have made. It is even more energy efficient then the one it replaces as it needs less water to work. Also as it is a fast boil, it takes no time to boil. Not only that it looks good too. I would hope that it will last for many years as well. While not expensive, at less than twenty five pounds, it really does pay off in the long term to get the best quality you can afford so that items last.

Additionally as K likes her toast in the morning, we bought a toaster. I can grill and toast bread in the oven, but as I have already said, having the oven door open, blocks the kitchen so it makes trying to make toast a tricky prospect. While it is a task that I have mastered, as my better half has Dyspraxia, the eccentricities of my kitchen makes it even more difficult for her. So while I perhaps would not have bothered with getting a toaster if I were not in this wonderful relationship, I could see the need. While I doubt that no matter how good the toaster is, it will not last as long, it has already shown its worth.

Therefore my plans for the coming year are intimately linked to my better half and her needs. There have been several times when I have cooked for her that she has said that she always said that she needed to find a boy friend who can cook, well most of the time it is a pleasure cooking so we are well matched there. However as food and food issues are a major concern of mine, I will be devoting a lot of my time on these issues in my cooking web log.

Partly because of her needs to avoid some of the foods she dislikes and utilising the foods she does, I have been doing new things in the kitchen as well as rediscovering some of the old recipes that I have not cooked for years. So while I hope the new stuff I will be doing will entertain and inform you, my poor long suffering reader, I hope you will stick with me as my life and this blog evolves.

1 comment:

tree ocean said...

I look forward to your posts. A toaster would seem tob e more energy efficient than running an oven to make toast, or flaming it over a burner might be better depending on your electric supply and your type of stove...;)

Formally, and currently for large things such as turkeys, I had a woodburning cookstove. Now most of our needs are met with a "toaster oven" a counter top electric model that toasts and even roasts a small chicken. I do miss a gas burner from my real cooking days...