Monday 25 January 2010

Sunday Lunch

Last Sunday my better half and I went out for Sunday Lunch to one of the pubs in the village. While it was okay, it really was nothing to write home about. While I have no interest in writing about bad eating experiences, that meal was just bland. I could see so many ways that the meal could have been improved, using fresh vegetables instead of frozen was just one aspect that would have improved the meal.

Therefore with last weeks experience still promoting my taste buds to fall asleep at the mention of eating out again, I was a little unenthused by the idea of going out again for Sunday Lunch suggested by my better half. This was partly due to where she was thinking we should try. I had lived near the place when I first moved to the North East and while it was likely to be better food, it was likely to be a football obsessed place. Therefore, were the patrons likely to be the football crowed?

I am not being a snob here as some sports obsessed places can still be good pubs, but equally my other half and I both feel less than comfortable with the excessive drinking and passions that sports arouse in some people. So I suggested we try a place that I have been passed many times, but had never ventured into thus far. Therefore we were both virgins to this hostelry.

One of the first things that I noticed that pleased me was the blazing open fire. There is nothing like an open fire that says welcome and come in. Additionally in pubs, and especially pubs serving food, the atmosphere it equally important and we both felt comfortable about the place. As a dipsomaniac, grand master, I do have a lot of experience of pubs, and it really is the traditional style of public house that I feel most comfortable with. And this was a genuine traditional pub. It was not a fake recreation of this but the genuine article. Further, the locals in there were friendly as was the staff.

The food though was the real revelation, as we both tucked into a very tasty and well cooked meal. While this may seem obvious, we could taste all the separate vegetables. But this is not always the case, last weeks was a prime example. Each had been well cooked. We had both opted for the pork, had I even thought that I would be writing this review when ordering, I would have chosen the Beef or Chicken to make a comparison, but that was not the reason for the visit. Well it was succulent melt in the mouth pork that actually tasted the way pork should. The Yorkshire puddings were better than most I have had in other pub meals, but it was the only part of the meal where I could say could have been better. I know that I am perhaps being harsh there, but it was the one part that failed to hit the spot the way the rest had.

As my better half could tell you folks, I have a healthy appetite and when I cook for her, I often dish up more than she can eat. Thus I was surprised when she too cleared her plate. I personally was well stuffed and could have stood in as stunt double for a Paxo chicken.

We were both very impressed with the pub and the meal, and for me the best endorsement that I can make is, we will be returning there to eat again. Further, we will be returning to the pub for a drink too.

Going back to the atmosphere of the place, we had gone in together as strangers, we left having been included in the banter of the place. I personally have been fairly lucky with the locations where I have lived, as normally there has always been a really decent pub close by, within staggering distance. When I moved to the village I am now in, I was disappointed especially at first. I did latter find a couple of places that were worth visiting. However, none were as good as places where there is the feeling that you are in a second home and amongst friends. This place was just like that.

From when my better half and I became entwined, we have developed places that we like going to. We call them “our cafĂ©” or “our pub” in that particular location and this we have both agreed is likely to become our local.

No comments: