Tuesday 26 February 2008

Are Genetically Modified Crops Killing Bees?


Several months ago I started writing a piece about the rise in food prices and the unethical way that we in the west are diverting food crops to Bio-Fuels. I was going to also talk about the effects of climate change and the way that our changing climate could be effecting bees. As has been reported bees are suffering from a condition called, Colony Collapse Disorder.

Now while I strongly suspected an environmental reason for this, however as I always use good quality research as the basis for my postings, I did not want to blame global warming for this Colony Collapse Disorder if that is not what the sciences shows. Therefore I contacted people that would know what the current state of knowledge is. While I thought that it was likely to be an environmental factor, what I was told shocked me.

However, I needed to verify if what I was being told was accurate. Therefore I have been very busy ensuring that the data I was being shown was accurate. Further was the interpretation of the data correct.

Well I have long thought that big business, global business and its total disregard for the environment is pushing us to hell in a hand cart, but the data “Appears” to show that pollen from GM crops is killing the bees.

While I have strong reservations about Genetically Modified foods, I am not against them as long as they are properly tested. Something that has never happened. The research, while not conclusive, showed that when bees were feed on various GM crops lost their ability to navigate. Why this should happen is still a mystery, but its the only effect demonstrable in the laboratory that mimics what's happening in the wild.

I have spent much of my time asking some hard questions of the people who have supplied this data. Why have they not made this data public and why not go to the media? They told me that effectively they have been gagged as research funding is dependent upon “pleasing” vested interests. They cant go to the media as while the research appears to be impacting the immune system of the Bees the data was not conclusive proof and they reminded me of Arpad Pusztai. For those that don't know or don't remember, Arpad Pusztai gave a television interview where he expressed concern about GM as in his experiments of feeding GM potatoes to rats, they failed to thrive. Effectively the potatoes were less nutritious.

Arpad Pusztai, paid the price with his career.

While the science is not conclusive proof, yet, as the powers that be have halted any further research by these scientists, I now find this knotty problem in my lap.

As the Internet is the home of every nut job, and I am fully aware that to many as an Environmentalist I fall into that category, in breaking this news I could be being set up.
While all the documents I have seen look genuine, and while the story I have been told sounds “reasonably” credible, I still don't fully understand why I have been given tacit approval to break this story. While I know that I do have my readers here, three Americans and a cat, I have to trust that their reasons are genuinely altruistic. They needed a conduit like me to get this story out in the public domain.


If True and Accurate then we really have destroyed our planet. Charles Darwin accurately predicted that without Bees we would (The Human Race) suffer a total collapse of our ability to grow food in six years. Colony Collapse Disorder is a real disaster for us all. We really are going to hell in a hand cart.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here bees are trucked from region to region for pollination, so it is feasible that eventually some of them would be exposed to GMO's.

I guess one way to do the research would be to contact beekeepers and find out if they truck to GMO fields..like tomatoes, perhaps?