Friday 29 February 2008

Feeding Birds and Wildlife



Recently I made a posting about the birds having had a feast on the tree seeds that I collected and planted. I had a couple of emails about that, and a couple of days ago talking to someone in the village, repeated what was being said or asked in these mails. That of why feed the birds?
In the past it always used to be recommended that you only feed birds in winter. In the bleak cold depths of winter when there is snow or frost on the ground, the birds really appreciate the extra fuel. While there may be other wild foods out there, a reliable source really can make the difference between life and death.

However feeding birds also helps them at other times of the year as well. During the breeding season, a good reliable extra source of food can make the difference between the parents raising one brood successfully or three broods. Also with a changing climate and adverse weather patterns, that supply of food can help ensure that chicks don't die of starvation should the parents be prevented from finding wild foods.

As I don't have a garden, this year I plan to grow some plants especially to provide shelter for birds and animals. This will help the birds feel secure about feeding. Often you will see bird tables with roofs but that is actually the worst thing to do as it prevents the birds from seeing predators like sparrow hawks. In time I hope that I will attract even more birds in by placing containers and plants around the concrete yard.

In the future I will better protect any seedlings I plant, if I loose a few then so be it.
As for the main reason I feed the birds its because I love seeing the birds. Most of the time the birds treat my free cafe in the same way humans would treat an offer of free petrol, even if they don't need it they will fill their boots. The birds do the same.

Feeding the birds provides me with regular visitors, a blackbird pair where the male has a white patch on his head. Starlings looking resplendent in breading plumage, blue tits and great tits. Dunnocks, Tree sparrows as well as the now endangered House Sparrow. When ever I put out meal worms I get a pair of Robin in the yard and occasionally a pied wagtail.


The small amount of effort I make is repaid a hundred fold by seeing the birds. So I don't do it for the birds I do it for me.


No comments: