Wednesday 20 February 2008

Tracking Deer


Several months ago I was contacted by one of my readers, yes I do have them, who was interested in the deer. Now because of the problems of poaching and other illegal hunting, I am very cautious about providing details that could be used by others that don't respect the wildlife. While I do enjoy eating venison, I prefer to see it in and around the woods.

I thought my caution was justified when I received another mail from what looked to be a company selling venison. I even had a quiet word with the wildlife officer of the police. However, it turned out that the people trying to contact me were totally legitimate and they were seeking my help.

While one of the people trying to contact me, was part of an estate that supplies venison, the main people were part of a scientific team carrying out some serious research. Apparently, there was aspects of what I was talking about that demonstrated that I was connected with the land and more importantly, the wildlife.

Anyway, over the last week or so, I have been busy helping out on that project. I cant disclose the location, but it was in the UK. It was my apparent skills as a tracker that drew their attention to me. While this surprised me as I would have thought that there were many many more people better qualified and able to help, I guess that I am just cheep!

So I have been out tracking Deer, but not just that trying to help determine where the territories are likely to be. This will be confirmed by radio collars and other electronic means. However, my assistance should have helped get clear data sooner.

The problem is that as Deer populations get larger, there is increasing conflict when Deer start invading peoples gardens, or move on to farmers fields. In the past it would have been the poacher taking for the pot and not the “Commercial thieves” who take wholesale amounts of animals, who would understand the movements of local populations, as they no longer around often what happens is when the Deer stray and cause damage often culling the Deer is the only solution. This research may help provide other solutions to this problem.

The landscapes I have been in have been wonderful, I am not allowed to post pictures so the locations are not disclosed, but I have enjoyed most of the work. Although one day when I had to walk over twenty eight miles, I was not the happiest person on the planet. On that particular day one of the people that had joined our party part way through, he was delivered by Land Rover, tried to encourage me by saying “your doing this for science”

My reply was quick and succinct; “Sod Science, I'm doing this for the Money!” That brought everyone else to fits of laughter.

Once my aches have gone, I can file away these memories under W for a wonderful experience.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

NIce! Was getting a bit worried about you!

PS had a big snowfog here a couple days ago...might be some rain coming your way..test the theory. :)

Tree