Thursday 28 February 2008

Vendace Brought back from the edge of Extinction


When I was a child, I started making a list of the whole of the Flora and Fauna to be found in the British Isles. Really Geeky I know, but I have always been an odd ball. This was originally a paper record. Then back in 1981 I bought a computer. It was really basic compared to the ones available now, no hard drive, storage was on five and a quarter floppy disks. On this computer I was able to record much of the wildlife this country holds.

But what with work and other commitments I eventually abandoned the project. Also, as computers improved, I discovered that to transfer the data to a new computer was going to require retyping in thousands of records. In many ways it was a project that would have been ideal for the internet age.

While I did abandon this, it did enable me to discover just how rich our wildlife was, and I discovered species that I would never have known. One such species was the Vendace. However when I was doing this it was uncertain if this fish was extinct or not. It has been the loss of species that has been my driving force in conservation for most of my life.

Therefore, it was pleasing to discover this article about the Vendace and how it is now thriving in a new location when it has died out in three of the four of its natural locations.



Further Information One Two Three



No comments: