Wednesday 5 November 2008

An Historic Day

Having the ability to watch history being made is something very rare. As a young child I was allowed to stay up to watch man landing on the moon. As an expected event, it was almost unique that we could wait, watch and see history made. While it is rare for any political event or election to really count as historic this election for the President of the United States is genuinely historic.

When Barack Obama was still just contesting the primaries, the way the media here in Britain was reporting events, I along with many other people really thought that having an African-American candidate was all but handing the presidency to the republicans. Time after time the media images were shown of Americans who were all but saying they would never vote for a Black man. Some even said it out right. Therefore, I was left feeling uneasy.

However, events have shown that the way the news was being projected to us here in Britain was not the true and accurate image of the US today.

I have to say that when Governor Palin was selected as the Vice presidential running mate, I was almost sure that McCain could win. But Sarah Palin, as time went on, just proved that she was the woman that put Alas in to Alaska.

While I have no doubt that there are racists in America, I am truly humbled to see that the USA is becoming the colour blind nation of true equality and freedom that it has always striven to be.

Though the real work starts now, and I really do believe that the changes that America and the world needs will now happen. On the two biggest issues, that of the economy and Climate Change, Obama has the intellect and vision to see that in stopping the growth of CO2 emissions and securing renewable sources of energy, America will boost the US economy. Further, by developing the technologies to combat climate change, the US will become part of the new green economy that is already starting in Europe.

While I have no doubt that there will be times when I will feel frustrated by the actions of Barack Obama, he is after all a politician, I wish him well and hope that he does the people of America proud.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Wood Mouse,

Anyone who voted for McCain was either stupid or not paying attention. The Republican Party was unable to distance itself from that human wrecking ball, George Bush. I just wonder why it took my compatriots eight years to see that this man was a complete disaster who ruined everything he touched. The one positive thing Bush accomplished was to make it possible for a Black man to become president.
Mr. Obama has his work cut out for him. I'm hoping he shows a bit of backbone. But don't expect rainbows and free ponies--those ponies are in an Augean stable left by his predecessor.

And Bush isn't out yet, not by a long shot. He can still do a lot of damage.

Linda Yarrow said...

I think now the world can breath a sigh of relief :-)

tree ocean said...

Alas in Alaska-slam! Kick 'em when they're down! No, j/k that was a good chuckle.

I came to the same conclusion as anon last night regarding the vote. I was very suprised McCain secured so many votes in the light of our current situation-wreckage of the last eight years.